car parking america

viztopia

i am going to california for holidays in May. I am booking a car to travel when i am over there. i am also booking hotels and none of them seem to have car parks with the hotels. is this the norm in america and what should i be expecting?

It depends on where you're going.
Many hotels will have parking, or have a deal with a nearby multi-storey, but you're often charged an additional fee for the pleasure of parking there, even if you are a resident.

Parking at US hotels is expensive. Think $30 a go or more for city hotels. Do you need a car all the time?

It is fairly common that hotels don't have car parks in US city centres, real estate is too valuable for the relatively low return they get from car parks.

The places I stayed that charged for parkering (holiday inns, hiltons, marriott etc) was roughtly $7 - 9 per night for self park, and $13 -15 (excluding tips) per night for valet parking.
It all adds up and is something travel agencies should inform those doing fly-drive holidays of, as it not always included in the extras/costs.

If you're staying and driving in a city the parking is going to cost you. Maybe you should consider booking just motels, or just drive and stop off at any motel catches your fancy (I've done both in northern california and it's grand)... they cater specificaly for the passing motorist, and can range from absolute dives to very nice indeed. If booking online definitely do some background research before commiting. Expedia.com are useful for up to date reviews of hotels etc

Back