Car park terms and conditions

Update here for everyone:

Met the guy that owns a coffee shop in the complex on the street and was asked where I had been lately so I told him the story. (I got to know a lot of the managers/owners of different shops over my time in there)

He is bringing it up at the next meeting (not sure what this is but I assume it is a management meeting).

Anyway - this is either a case of building up a relationship with shop owners over the last number of years or MONEY TALKS! (Loss to his shop will be 5 people x 2.80 x 5 days per week - a group of us do a coffee run each day and because of my story we have all stopped going there)

He promised to let me know what happens so I'll keep you updated. I don't expect much though as he is one small voice.

and because of my story we have all stopped going there)

Bit of a hypocrite really, what has the coffee shop owner done to you that is stopping you from buying coffee from him or her? You have a gripe with the owners/management of the centre/carpark for what looks like abusing the carpark terms and conditions.

Shopping centre carparks are designed for short term stays, for shopping in the centre, and not for buying a take away coffee and going to work elsewhere for the entire day and expecting to be able to park for free.

The management company have informed me that they have the support of all the leasees of the complex and that they are carrying out their rules and regulations.
So that's fine. So to that coffee shop owner I pointed out the consequences of that. Don't get me wrong - we had a friendly conversation and debated the ins and outs of it all (and mostly from his point of view). So we both agreed that we saw the point in theory but not in practice.

I'm still at a loss as to how people are thinking. I'm in no way arguing that there are rules and regulations. My point is:
1. I was not blocking custom
2. I was bringing money into the centre

What was the point in enforcing this rule?

I'm still at a loss as to how people are thinking. I'm in no way arguing that there are rules and regulations. My point is:

What was the point in enforcing this rule?

Probably because if this became a tolerable practice, more people might do it. This creates the risk that it would become, de facto, a long-term car park and not appropriate for the purposes for which it was intended.

I wouldn't blame you for taking advantage of the loophole, but equally I think you have to accept it was only a matter of time before the same loophole was closed.

Some car parks have a policy of first 2 hours free then an hourly rate (eg Pavilions in Swords) This works well as genuine customers get to shop and it is free (most people spend 2 hours or less on a weekly supermarket / run some errands / browse around shop) and for people like Wheeler they can't take advantage of free parking for a full day.

Wheeler

If the car park was full all day with cars whose owners were only going to purchase a ham roll at lunchtime and a microwave dinner at 5.30 how on earth do you think the shops in the complex would do business? The issue isn't you parking in the car park, it is commuters taking up all of the spaces for the full day on the basis of a couple of minor purchases.

All of this is irrelevant. It is a private car park, so they can refuse you entry for something or for nothing. They don't have to provide an explanation. There is nothing you can do about it.

My point is:
That's like saying that it's okay to use any service for free so long as there's capacity and so long as you give some sort of custom - like sneaking into the cinema if there's spare seats would be okay so long as you buy popcorn - it's fine(ish) if only one person does it but it all falls apart if everyone wants to do it - why should you be the one to be allowed to? It's the 'little me' argument - so long as it's only little me breaking the rules what's the harm...

Agree. It is probably just as well I don't deal much with the public. I would not have much patience for people. My sister works in a ladies clothes outlet and she said the neck of some people in shopping centres and the things they try and do is unreal.

Ask mossy for help with the freemans argument.