car paint faded

bobk

Thinking of buying a car where the paint has faded in places on the bonnet.

Is this easily rectified?

Badly faded? Some restorers can liven up paintwork effectively but if you are talking about whitish patches I'm not so sure.

Is it a normal or metallic paint. If it normal paint the likes of Tcut and a lot of elbow grease can bring it up like new.

Towger

It's a 10 year old red car and there are some pink/white patches all over the bonnet.

It seems to be normal paint,
i'll give Tcut a try

Thanks

It's a 10 year old red car and there are some pink/white patches all over the bonnet.

It seems to be normal paint,
i'll give Tcut a try

Thanks

usually seems to be the red's that give trouble with fading.. try some rubbing compound and a good polish afterwards, should do the tirck

Be aware that T-Cut removes a thin layer of paint. So it removes the oxidsed layer to get to a good layer underneath. If theres no good layer then it won't help. Try on a panel and see how it goes. You'll develop new arm muscles thats for sure.

if that didn't work, how much would a respray cost?

For a 10 year old car, depending on the mileage & it's condition otherwise, you might find that the cost of a full respray may equal or exceed the value of the car!

For bonnet only expect to pay anything up to €500 - maybe more.

But you could try www.chipsaway.com - if they can't help they should at least be able to point you in the right direction.

he means an electric polisher, about 30€ in argos to buy so dont bother renting. you need one to properly use cutting compound in order to avoid unevenness. use it to cut the paint and then polish it with a good wax and it will be guaranteed to bring the paint like new. keep the cutting compound / polisher away from your lights as it will destroy them. you should also take off the badges from the back and buy new ones. a couple of hours work in total will have the car looking like new