Car ownership. What to do?

A

a question

My partner and I intend buying a new car.As I am changing jobs at present, I will need something like an old 4*4. We intend holding onto the car in my name i.e. our good car and selling my partners car to buy the 4*4. I will then drive the 4*4 and my partner can drive my car. What is the best thing to do in this situation as regards putting the cars in each others names, as my partner does not want to drive my car long term under my insurance. Is it easy to change the ownership into her name from my car(I have an outstanding hire purchase loan of approx. 5000 on my car and I do not want to put the loan in her name) or can she buy the 4*4 in her name and then put her insurance policy on my car and I put my policy on her car. Will insurance companies allow this? Is it possible to insure a car that you are not owner of

You can transfer insurance to a car you don't own. I've done this at a garage when mine is in for repair. Generally its more attractive when selling a car, for it to have less owners. Not sure if it makes a huge difference.

you might have problems taxing it if the ins cert is in a different name from the vehicle reg cert

Back