Car on loan from Garage - do I need to switch my insurance?

shesells

Finally think I've tracked down a car I want to buy. The guy in the garage is very decent and wants me to take it away for a couple of days to drive it and be sure it's right. He's a friend of the family so I really appreciate it.

My question is do I need to transfer my insurance to make sure I'm covered on it. Also if I do that, am I covered if I leave my old car with them and it gets stolen?

Garage say I'm covered on their policy and girl in insurance company thought I had to transfer over. Anyone here more certain?

In order to have comprehensive insurance on car you want to test-drive, assuming you have comprehensive insurance on your own car, you need to do a temporary transfer of your insurance for the "couple of days".

AFAIK, your car is covered on the garage's dealership / motor-trade insurance against theft, accidental damage or fire, while it remains in their custody, so to speak.

So subject to correction, I believe the insurance company and the salesman are right.

Last edited:
Yes you need to do a temp insurance transfer. If not and you crash the loan car you will have to pay to get it repaired! Your insurance will only cover the car you hit (third party).

If you are taking the car for a few days, you will require to transfer your Insurance. The garage Insurance is called Motor Trade Insurance, which covers for small periods of time.

All is great until something happens. In your case you could end up losing a family friend.

Thanks for the replies. The problem is I'm not seeing the car until tonight and the insurance company isn't open then. Will have to try and work something out.

Arrange a time to pick it up, call the inurance co before they close and tell tham what time you want it transferred from. Get the reg etc from the garage and there shouldn't be a problem.

I did this on a Sat ans my insurance Co was not open.
The salesman faxed a letter requesting the insurance be changed from then 11 am on Sat.
He said it would be fine and I got a letter from the insurance co in the next week to confirm it.

Back