Car of deceased - how do you transfer ownership?

M

McDonagh

This query might actually belong in the legal section, not sure.

A relative (as per my other posts) died recently and left everything to her husband. He is still sorting out her affairs so lots of things have to be finalised.

He was a named driver on the insurance for his wife's car (but he hasn't driven for years due to ill health), as was his son (who never actually drove the car).

The insurance and tax have since expired on the car but now he would like to renew it so his son can have use of it and drive him when he needs transport.

He contacted both the insurance company and the Motor Tax Office today to try to find out how to sort this out but he's none the wiser.

The insurance company just suggested renewing the policy, but he explained the car was still in his late wife's name so he assumed that had to be sorted out first.

He then rang the Motor Tax Office but they just told him to change the name on the Vehicle Lic. Cert (which he can't find - they said he should contact the Dept of the Environment). Can that be right? Just change the name on the Cert? Surely this would have to be dealt with legally, through the will, or is it as straightforward as they suggest??

Sorry for the loss.

I would suggest don't complicate things. I am sure there is enough to organise.

Send change of ownership to tax office just fill in details by next of kin. Maybe sign original name.

On insurance you can insure a car in someone else's name. Should be no problem. Maybe ring them when the change of ownership comes in.

Back