Motor Car not listed on drop down menu for insurance quote.

thedaras

Has anyone else had this problem?
I was looking online for an insurance quote for my car.
I ticked a box confirming I agreed with the terms and conditions.
When I got to the part where I had to describe which make model/engine etc I had, I was given a choice of entering my registration number or imputing the details myself.
When I entered my reg, all the options that came up were diesel.Mine is petrol.
So I tried to enter the information manually, but once again there was no petrol option!
This happened on a couple of sites,so I just gave up in frustration,but requested a call back.
I got a call from one of the company's today and they said they don't charge anything extra for petrol so to just put it in as a diesel.
My point is that, I had ticked a box to say I was entering the correct details,and this meant that I would have been saying I had a diesel car when infact its a petrol!
So i would not have entered the correct details and would be nervous that this could be used against me in the case of an accident.
ie: you dont have the type of car you described.

Has anyone else come across this? would you just go ahead and enter diesel?

I wouldnt be happy with that, as I would have thought it would affect the quote e.g. a 2L petrol vs 2L diesel wouldnt be the same price....if they came looking at it again in few months time how would they know which it was supposed to be?

I used the "enter car reg" option on a few insurance quote sites over the past few days, most of them were correct, but one returned my car as being a petrol....and it's a diesel!

thedaras, would the company who got the car details wrong have a similar name to the person who posted just above me perchance?!

Yep and one other company also.
When the guy rang, I was only too happy to tell him that I got the insurance elsewhere and to tell him to let his manager know how I felt.