Car not insured but need to drive to mechanic

remey

Hi,
Wondering if you can help. I got a new car recently and transferred my insurance over from my old car.
I am selling my old car now and need to bring it to a mechanic tonight to get some work done on it. My question is what do I do about insurance for the 10 min drive? Is it as simple as just transferring my insurance back for the evening (And again in a couple of days to collect it) or do the insurance companies allow you to insure an extra car or something?
Obviously I will call the company later, cant at the moment but would appreciate your comments or what you may have done in similar situations?

Hi Remey,

I have often changed my insurance over. All you have to do is give the insurance company the time you want your insurance to switch over and how long for, give them the make and reg and that's it.

Another option is to read the wording of your driving of other cars extension. It can state either of the following:

Your insurance covers you to drive someone else's car as long as that vehicle is already insured.

Your insurance covers you to drive someone else's car whether that vehicle is already insured or not.

If it states the second wording, and you've already transferred ownership to the new owner, you can just hop in and drive it under your own insurance. This will however be Third Party Only cover and you will need the permission of the new owner to do it.

Thanks guys-very helpful. Well I phoned Axa and just got the insurance transferred for an hour tonight so all sorted.

I think its illegal to tow a car these days anyway (with a rope that is)

He owns the car though - so in this case that extension wouldn't apply. Driving of other cars usually only applies to a car owned by someone else and that can exclude a partners car - its very important to understand that clause.