Car Needs New Engine!

RedStix

Would love a bit of advice. I have a 3 year old Fiat Punto, has 34,000 miles on the clock and although i used to use it every day for work for the first couple of years, more recently, i have only been using it a couple of times a week. Was driving along the M50 a couple of weeks ago when the car just clapped out on me. When the AA guy looked at it, he told me that something had blown in the back of the engine by the driveshaft as there was oil splattered everywhere. The engine was completely dead so i had to get the car taken to the local FIAT garage.

Once they had assessed the car, they told me that the engine had completely ceased and it looked to them that the reason was lack of oil. I explained that this could not be the case as i had checked the oil a week beforehand and it was fine, and also, how does could there be oil all over the engine (according to Mr. AA Man) if there was no oil in it to start with(according to garage)? I asked for a second opinion and they said the same thing... no oil. I then asked them to double check that there was no leak or anything in the oil filter as i can say 100%, there was definately oil in the car the previous weekend. Anyway to cut a long story short(ish), the garage are sticking by their "diagnosis" and pretty much fobbed me off as being a girl who knew nothing about cars!

My car is 12 months past its warranty date, so its not covered, but also the last three services i had carried out were done as a nixer by a qualified mechanic, so according to FIAT, i have no comeback as i do not have Vat invoices to prove the service history, so according to them, the car has not been serviced and i appear negligent.

Need to get a new engine now which is such a pain. Is there any other avenue i can go down with FIAT before forking out for a new engine myself, considering that the car is only 3 years old. An engine should not cease after three years.

Sorry for the long story but any advice would be appreciated.... but please no FIAT (Fix It Again Tomorrow) Jokes allowed! ;)

What excatly went? It prob is easier to replace an engine that's why they are saying it so I would prob do that but find out what went.

Also if the mechanic that fitted the parts has parts invoices which he should, then you can use them with FIAT Ireland. But if not then hold the nixer guy to fault.

As what usually happens people get cars serviced cheap and then when things go wrong they don't blame them. Its accountability! If he was able to take youre money for service then he can fix this problem FOC, if he did something wrong. Did you ever thing he put the wrong filter etc on?
Why blame FIAT Ireland the problem could be a little closer to home!

Thanks for reply MR2. Apparently the head gasket is gone and the timing belt and a few other things, so yes, they said it would be easier to replace the engine.

I don't think it was anything to do with the service through my mechanic mate, because he had serviced the car 6 months prior and i'm sure if something was done incorrectly, it would have come to light before now. The garage are saying that maybe he didn't put the rocket cover gasket on properly but he would have had no need to take this off. Also, apparently if this wasn't fitted properly (6 months ago) my car would have been dripping oil since the service, and there isn't a drop of oil on my driveway. The garage also said, that there was no problem with the oil filter and it wasn't leaking, so i can't understand how they can tell me there was no oil in the car, when it was checked the prior weekend.

Its a catch 22 with the mechanic who has been servicing my car as a nixer for years, because no. 1 he is a longstanding friend of my OH and secondly if this starts getting messy, he could become liable with revenue for every nixer he has done in the last 15 years. I would like to add though, that about 6 or 7 of my friends have been having their cars serviced with this guy for over 10 years and none of them have ever had any problems.

Thanks for reply MR2. Apparently the head gasket is gone and the timing belt and a few other things, so yes, they said it would be easier to replace the engine.

I don't think it was anything to do with the service through my mechanic mate, because he had serviced the car 6 months prior and i'm sure if something was done incorrectly, it would have come to light before now. The garage are saying that maybe he didn't put the rocket cover gasket on properly but he would have had no need to take this off. Also, apparently if this wasn't fitted properly (6 months ago) my car would have been dripping oil since the service, and there isn't a drop of oil on my driveway. The garage also said, that there was no problem with the oil filter and it wasn't leaking, so i can't understand how they can tell me there was no oil in the car, when it was checked the prior weekend.

Its a catch 22 with the mechanic who has been servicing my car as a nixer for years, because no. 1 he is a longstanding friend of my OH and secondly if this starts getting messy, he could become liable with revenue for every nixer he has done in the last 15 years. I would like to add though, that about 6 or 7 of my friends have been having their cars serviced with this guy for over 10 years and none of them have ever had any problems.

When was the timing belt due to be changed? Silly but find it hard to understand how the timing belt and the head went at the same time

If the belt snapped the engine could be scrap. The up and down bits could go left and right basically.

You could get an independent report produced on the car from someone like the AA, though this will cost. If that proved there was definitely a manufacturing rather than maintenance fault, you'd have a lot more leverage, as you could then threaten legal action.

Are you sure the car isn't still under warrenty? I seem to recall Fiats have long warrenties these days. However, you may find it dependent on being serviced by a main dealer.

On the one hand you are right: an engine should not expire after 3 years.

On the other, Fiat do have a point. One quite likely cause of the failure is a problem with serving or lack of maintenance, and being unable to prove you've had it done is a bit of an issue.

Have you spoken with Fiat Ireland, or have all your dealings been with the dealer? They might be worth contancting if you haven't done so already.

The bottom line is though, that you're relying on goodwill if the car is out of warrenty, so keep that in mind.

ang1170 is right in that this will come down to goodwill. But as you haven't stayed in the dealer network or even bought the FIAT parts there will be none.

If the head gasket went and the timing belt snapped you would still get away with replacing the head unless it's thrown a leg. You have to find out more what's gone at the back of the engine that has all the oil gone.
If the headgasket went it would explain the oil and coolant mixing etc but try get it in writing and post that and we'll see.

But again like ang1170 said you might have to get an independant engineer to take a look at this.

Are you the first registered owner of this?

On a more positive viewpoint.I have a 1993 Ford Fiesta which I won in a charity raffle[ Crumlin hospital] for £5. Engine went after 70,000 miles.Put in a Ford replacement engine for £1000 1999.Last year after a further 50,000 miles on the clock.I went back to the same garage .They did not remember me .I asked them to put in[ another ]Ford replacement engine,they advised me against it,they wanted to sell me another car.I insisted.It cost me 1100 euro.The car is going perfect.Just thought this story might cheer you up despite your current financial loss.There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Back