Car lnusrance for 1st time driver

S

sadmak

My wife is on her 1st provisional and we are looking at buying her first car a 98 1 litre VW polo. The best quote i can get at present is €1100 from Eagle Star which seems scandalous to me.

Has anyone in a similar situation had cheaper quotes from alternative companies?

Thanks...

That seems like quite a good quote for an unproven inexperienced driver.

Sadmak, up until last year I was paying more than that with a full clean license and no claims ever (4 years no claims built up) ... I think that quote is quite an improvement on what she would have got 2 years ago!

Have to second Cullenswood, I think thats a pretty good deal.

I'm also in the middle of getting my 1st insurance and got a similar quote from Eagle Star..I got quotes up to 2 grand so I'd also take it and run!

Did you try AXA?

M first car insurance back in 2000 cost me £950 (€1,200)for a 1litre car...and that was with 2 years as a named driver and I was in my mid twenties

Try quinn direct I got a quote for about 750 compared to 1100 from eagle star

Thanks guys- especially Bleary as Quinn Direct have just quoted €970

Bear in mind Quinn direct are the ryanair of iunsurance in this country.
No frills.

When you make a claim its like getting blood out of a turnip.

Why would the injured party need to meet the accessor, or even need to talk to them, let alone be asked to give directions to the location of the burnt out car.

Full story,

Car was robbed, and burnt out. The Gardai had arrested the person involved as they were caught lighting it up. And had all this when i rang to report it missing. But yet quinn direct needed to talk to me about the incident, and needed me to give directions, then needed me to meet the accessor, Then offered the Book value of the car (which was half what it would get, privatly or sold to a garage) and had an excess of €300, and my no claims history was affected/wiped (40%) so for the €250 I'd have gotten for my at least €1000 car i'd have paid more that that on my premium for the next 3 years.

Axa has a policy On its home page "Keep your discount for Fire and Theft Claims"

A mate had his car written off, and had a lesser policy with AXA and received the full amount of the car with no excess needing to be paid.

So the cost is not the only factor when you buy a policy.

I heard similar experience of Quinn Direct when I was renewing so decided not to go with them

Looking at the Consumer Info section on www.ifsra.ie it would seem quinn direct and FBD are about the best for first-time/low ncb drivers...

FBD

Got a quote of 880 from eagle star
625 from FBD
760 from quinn direct
so its FBD for me .by the way I have a full license and two years ncb and quote is for 1.4 colt

Back