Car Insurance Renewal Increase

tosullivan

Has anyone got a car insurance renewal quote recently?

I've just got mine and it has gone from €491 to €633. Nothings changed, same car, same penalty points, car is even valued less.

Seems to be across the board on all the online quotes I've done aswell. Nothing cheaper out there than what my current insurer is quoting me on the renewal....

Mine was down about 10%. This was last week and is through a broker. Pure laziness on my part not going direct - where it would be cheaper. But I am coming down from a high.

Yep, we found that with our 2 car policies , both renewals were up by aprox €200, no claims etc, had been long time customers, so we changed to another company. Suppose our insurance company had to pay for the sponsorship of the New Landsdown Road somehow!

Yup, we had a similar increase. Switched providers, and are now paying less than last year :p It is definitely worth shopping around every time.

Mine also went up.
I was told by an insurance assessor there has been a increase in claims all round. In a recession more people are claiming on their insurance policies whereas in the past they might have paid for it out of their own pocket & some will always try to bump it up a bit.
Insurance companies are also seeing a lot more expensive weather related claims.

There is also the profit motivation, insurance companies have seen their investments plummet so they need to increase cash flow where they can.......hence punter pays more

Are you just going by the renewal notice or have you spoken to your insurance company? Last year I got a renewal notice for almost €600. I telephoned the company and told them they were not competitive any more and asked them to give me a good reason not to switch companies. Initially, the agent offered me a reduction of €100 but I asked him to speak to his supervisor who eventually reduced the premium to €390!
I know I may have been in a better position than some, having many years (so far!) of claim-free motoring, but it's worth a shot if you haven't tried it.

Are you just going by the renewal notice or have you spoken to your insurance company?

That's just the renewal notice - haven't haggled at all yet or gotten other quotes as I only got the renewal notice about 30 mins ago !:D

Got a renewal notice in the post.
Up 90 over last year as seems to happen every year.

A girl from the company rang me today which is new.

Apparently insurance rates have gone up yeah right,
Same car as last year.

I mentioned I was annoyed at the pirce going up even though the car is older more no claim etc.

Asked me current value of car she had 10k I said realistic is 5K

Not that the value they have down is what they would give so seems to be a BS question to me.

Withing 20 mins quote was back to last years rate.

The same dance every year.

Will be making some calls this week mind.

Got a letter from AA insurance yesterday " guaranteeing " to beat my current renewal quote!

Have you tried Hibernian Direct. My broker's quotation was almost 50% more for the same policy from the same company. Obviously I went direct to the insurance company and saved the difference.

Got a insurance renewal quote which has gone up by 10% on last year.

I called into the insurance firm and asked them to match last year's renewal premium.

I got extra discounts on the insurance and now I have paid less then last year's renewal.

It pays to haggle, just tell them that you are going to leave and get insurance from another company.

Just make sure that you have done some research on the net and print some quotes and bring them into the insurance company.

My long term insurer had increased my premium by about 15% when the renewal notice came in. 123.ie then quoted over €200 less. My insurer dropped their original quote by €20 - and I dropped my insurer!!

It pays to shop around. My husband has a Harley Davidson and when his renewal arrived it was up on last year - not by much but up for no apparant reason. When I queried it with insurer, they said if he had a car policy or was a named driver on another policy they could reduce it. He's a named driver on my policy and they dropped his motorbike insurance by 30%!!!!

Back