car insurance question

vladamir

got my renewal about two weeks ago (which was about six weeks before its due)

it was c. 1500 euro (axa) went on-line with quinn - it was c.1000

done nothing more (assuming i'd get insurance for around a grand when the time came).

rang a few companies today - eaglestar, hibernian, AA and several others. all quoted me above my original renewal - they then asked me how their quote compared and i told them it was above my renewal and they didn't offer to come down. my union has a special deal with an insurance co. for union members - they quoted me c. 3000 !!!!

so i went on-line with quinn again. this time it was c. 1150. rang them - they quoted me c. 1300. they wouldn't tell me why the on-line quote went up so much in two weeks. the quotes only last for 28 days, so the earlier quote will expire before my insurance is due for renewal.

anyone able to explain this??

i'm mid 20's, full clean licence held for nearly ten years - driving a mid engined familiy car - only one year NCB. anyone suggest any companies worth trying??

thanks.

Try going back to AXA and tell them you have a quote for 1000 and ask can they match it.

Chances are they'll either match it or come close (my guess is it'll be 1200 or less).

See the recent thread on this. Once they have you as a customer they know a lot of people just pay the renewal. It's always worth asking will they reduce it: my experience (and others) is that they invariably do.

thanks ang.

axa have informally indicated that they will match whatever quote i can get.

i'd rather they match the 1000 euro quote i got two weeks ago as opposed to the 1150 quote i got today!

thanks.

Can you not just purchase the insurance from QD with the €1000 quote? I wouldn't have thought the quote needs to be valid at time of insurance cover, only at time of purchase. But maybe I'm wrong.

Back