Car Insurance help?

C

Carbuyer

Hi,
I wonder would anybody have some tips for me regarding a problem I am having getting affordable car insurance? Basically the story is that I'm a 29 year old male and have a full licence since 1999 but have only been driving privately for 2 of these years. I returned to college around 5 years ago and couldn't afford the £1000 plus insurance that I was paying at the time so I just sold the car. Now I was going to buy a cheap car( Mondeo 97- 1.6) until I could save up for something better. Spotted one for 1750 Euro and happily phoned up Quinn Direct today expecting to have to pay around 500- 600 euro which I would have been grand with. Got the shock of my life and felt the depression of Deja vu when the answer was 1,400 Euro 3rd party! I thought this insurance thing was after getting better in the last few years?? I haven't ever put in a claim or been involved in an accident while driving.
Does anybody know if I am entitled to get my insurance history back off previous companies? I have been with PMPA and Topquote in the past. I've also been driving a van for a company for the last 5 summers and was wondering is this just useless in terms of no-claims history or could I approach this insurance company looking for my written history? Any advice would be great,
Thanks a lot,
Frustrated carseeker

Unfortunately you have no 'no claims bonus', AFAIK, business insurance doesn't count, and since you haven't driven in 5 years (officially), you personal NCB has lapsed. That being said, it may still be worth ringing around to different insurance companies and/or brokers, there can be substantial differences in cost for no apparent reason. Good luck.

hi,

i got insured, for the first time, on a mondeo - 2001 - 1.8 - for 1400 euro. I'm only 24 though so i would have thought it was cheaper for someone a bit older? i passed my driving test about 7 years ago though.

also - for the lapse of NCB after five years comment - i had five years NCB on a motorbike (i was driving longer than five years without an accident but five years is the max they recognise) and i haven't driven a bike in two and a half years and i'm now being quoted insurance as though i've never driven a bike in my life!! they are quoting me as though i've never been on the road. they state that once the NCB lapses for two years its gone - also - because i've been driving a car since - they dont recognise that because its not a bike!!!! so they are treating me as though i dont know how a traffic light works and as though i'm the same risk as someone who has never driven before!

its a wonderful world eh.

Did you try either of the two insurance you were with previously? They might cut you some slack..........................maybe:(

Back