Car insurance from 1860 to 242 in Two years

hakouna

Two years ago I was told my 16 years of driving experience in my home country and my non-European driving license worth nothing in Ireland . After I bought my 1L 00 car I got my first insurance with my Irish provisional license for 1860 Euros , cheapest quote , I was 33 yrs old male then .
And now after 2 years , with full irish license same 1L car, I just got a renewal quote for only 242 Euros !!
Should I laugh now with this low premium or insurance company gave me a good ripp off 2 years ago ?

Regards
Hak

dry your eyes - - looking at the accident/death rate in the country this year - its plain to see that of those involved ,the majority are driving under non - Irish licences - - enough said

It's all assessed on actuarial risk. You are not in a different category. The moral of the tale: do your driving test here before you buy a car.

dry your eyes - - looking at the accident/death rate in the country this year - its plain to see that of those involved ,the majority are driving under non - Irish licences - - enough said

Is that a fact?

Not saying I don't believe it, but bearing in mind the % of drivers on non Irish licenses it is suprising to say the least.

Is that a fact?

Not saying I don't believe it, but bearing in mind the % of drivers on non Irish licenses it is suprising to say the least.
Most of those non-natuionals have arrived here in the last few years and it can take 18 months to get a test...

How about this?

[broken link removed]

Not a majority of deaths, but certainly a disproportionately high number are foreign nationals.

The earlier poster said:
its plain to see that of those involved ,the majority are driving under non - Irish licences - - enough said
Nothing in that article supports this claim.

So are you saying the original poster was charged a high premium because of his/her non -irish licence or because the risk was calculated based on '1st Irish provisional - no verifiable driving experience'?

The earlier poster said:

"the majority are driving under non - Irish licences - - enough said"

Nothing in that article supports this claim.

That is why I wrote "Not a majority of deaths, but certainly a disproportionately high number are foreign nationals." The earlier poster's statement may be exaggerated, but the article certainly does support the proposition that foreign nationals are at a disproportionately high risk of being involved in serious road accidents as does this:

[broken link removed]

And coming back to the OP's comments on insurance premia, the above article also quotes the Motor Insurance Bureau of Ireland as estimating over 25% of foreign drivers are uninsured.

no, it states that "more than 25% of foreign motorists involved in accidents here are uninsured". That's different.

But why insurance companies don't value my non-European driving license / experience so that I have to start the system from the bottom ( get a provisional license , sit for full Irish driving TEst ,...etc) and bin my home country original license ? And in the mean time they value other European licenses ( which can be easily transfered to irish full license without passing any tests) - Don't we both have the same "risk" on the road ?

no, it states that "more than 25% of foreign motorists involved in accidents here are uninsured". That's different.

True. My mistake.

However, this report from last year in the Sunday Tribune quotes the Motor Insurance Bureau of Ireland as estimating overall 6% of drivers are uninsured.

http://www.tribune.ie/2006/07/23/76364.html

You would have to assume that uninsured foreign drivers are roughly four times as likely to be involved in an accident as insured foreign drivers to conclude that foreign drivers overall are not disproportionately likely to be uninsured. This seems intuitively unlikely to me . . .

And in the mean time they value other European licenses ( which can be easily transfered to irish full license without passing any tests) - Don't we both have the same "risk" on the road ?

Not in my experience. My brother and his wife live in Austria and hold Austrian driving licences. When they were visiting and I wanted to temporarily add them both to my insurance, his wife cost more, because she originally learned to drive in Germany, on the "wrong" side of the road. He cost less because he learned here, and my insurer concluded he was therefore safer on Irish roads, even though his licence was Austrian.

They somehow recognised her Austrian license . In my case insurance companies refused to give me a quoat as they never recognised my non-European license although I had experience driving for months in England and France with my international license .
That's why I had to start from scratch as "newly born driver"

I do agree briansbyrne, My good friend is an ambulance driver for the last 20 yrs and he said the % of non Irish drivers involved in accidents compared to their popualation is very concerning ,that is why you will see more Polish road signs in the near future for eg, He says drink plays a huge part in all road deaths but more so with non Irish drivers. I have nothing aganist non nationals but if someone who is part of the emercency team then I would tend to believe them. He has nothing to gain just stating what he says.

People driving without insurance are in my opinion either reckless, stupid or unable to get insured for the very same reasons so it does not seem unlikely to me that these people could be 4 or more times more likely to get involved in an accident driving said car than their insured counterparts. I have no statistics for this but the logic does not seem too far fetched to me.

What's your source for this claim?