Car insurance for second car

Shaz

I have a full licence and my husband is a provisional licence holder. I have a car at the moment and I am the main holder of the car insurance and he is the named driver. He does not currecntly have a car.

He is thinking about buying a new car. For the purpose of saving money on insurance, can I be the main driver for his car and he becomes the named driver? Also does this mean that the car has to be registered under my name?

If I am driving my car, he could be driving his at the same time.

For the purpose of saving money on insurance, can I be the main driver for his car and he becomes the named driver?
Dodgy i would say...Looks very suspicious to have a couple / 2 cars, one being main driver on both cars, the other named driver on both cars.. Not even sure if insurance will accept that.. Even if they do, you are taking risk, as in the event of a substential claim, it would be very easy for insurance to find out that your husband was in fact "the main driver" of one of the cars (e.g. using it every day to go to work), hence voiding the insurance cover..

So for the sake of few 100s, get it right...What comes around goes around..

Shaz said:
Also does this mean that the car has to be registered under my name?
no.

I don't think there's anything illegal being the owner and policy holder on both cars.

I was very honest with my insurance company when I inquired about doing that and they said there was no problem with it - BUT - the insurance on the 2nd car could not use my No Claims Bonus, which made it more pricey than I expected..... We didn't go with the 2nd vehicle in the end.

I think it was nearly as worth while for my partner to take up the policy - especially as she would build up her own No Claims Bonus after a year or two which would be better in the long run finnacially for both of us!

I'd say a lot of 2 car families in Ireland are under 1 main driver...

We got a great deal from Axa for 2 car household with both policies with them. Didn't go through Axa direct - used

Get your hubby do his test asap.

p.s. Knowingly stating anything but the truth on any insurance proposal can jepoardise the cover. If the basis of the contract is unsound, then so is the cover.

If in any doubt always disclose.

THeres nothing illegal about having both cars in your name. You can have as many as you like!

I doubt you will find an insurance company which will allow you apply your no claims discount on 2 cars at the one time.

Back