Car Insurance for Learner Driver, 35yrs old

Charco

Hi,

I am just in the process of getting my drivers licence. Better late than never, as I am a 35 year old man. I'm wondering if anyone could advise the best approach for me to take regarding insurance. I am planning to buy a car in the new year (possibly a Ford Fiesta or similar, roughly 2010 or so). I'm intending on having my sister accompany me while i practice before i go for the test however Ill need to get my own insurance as I don't have anyone to add me as a named driver.
Does anyone know roughly how much i can expect to be quoted and if any insurers would even give me my own insurance given i don't have the full test yet?

I threw in a fictitious 35 year old living in Dublin 12 driving a Yaris and got €3,600

Why not get your licence first, using a driving instructor and her car for lessons, then get your own car and insurance? Your approach seems like cart before horse IMO.

Prohibitive cost doing it that way.
How many hours of driving (course and practice) would be needed before a raw pupil is up to test standard? All with an instructor.
40 - 50 I don't know, maybe 116??
Especially when they would be, most likely staggered/irregular etc.

Having a full license with zero experience counts for very little.

Last edited:
Back