Car Insurance....Dublin Address or Country Address

N

nmitchell

I am about to re-insure my car and am living in Dublin. Have been told that I should insure my car with a country address (i.e my parents address) as this would lower my premium costs.
Anyone any experience with this or if the insurance companies actually check this out and also if it would make my insurance legally null and void????

if you have an accident , you would have to give a sworn statement to the guards which includes info such as where you were going to/from when the accident happened and where you live.
you would also need to give this information to the ins co.
it wouldnt be nice to be found out to be lying to either.

regardless of the morality of getting one over on the insurance co. for your own peace of mind, it is best to be straight with them.

You must give your main residence. If you were involved in an accident and it was discovered you lived somewhere other than the address you gave them it could cause problems. Also they will ask you for your place of work and unless you travel around for work (I'm guessing not if you're organising your own insurance) they will realise you don't live that far away. This will make a difference to your premium - a few years ago I was getting a quote for insurance, lived in Co. Dublin and was working in Bray and the person who gave me the quote put down Bray as Co. Dublin (only very small part of Bray is actually in Co. Dublin and not the bit I was working in). When I rang back with a further query the next person noticed and said, oh wait Bray is Co. Wicklow, corrected it in the system and quote went up by £50 straightaway.

I agree with all of you except for the fact that when you ring for a quote the insurance company asks where the car will be principally kept...how are they to know how much time you use it in Dublin and how much time 'at the parents place'??

Dublin Address or Country Address

If you are living in Dublin, presumably the car "will be principally kept" at your Dublin address.

I don't think it would take much investigation from the insurance company to establish that the car is at address close to work, more than at parents home.

You would probably get away with this, until you had to claim, then this would become a big issue

Re: Dublin Address or Country Address

I would agree with the replies made to this post. False information on an insurance proposal is high risk, from the point of view of making a claim and arranging subsequent cover.

Re: Dublin Address or Country Address

Depends where you live in Dublin. I moved home to Dublin from Longford and my insurance decreased by €50 - still waiting for the refund to appear on my credit card.

I guess I agree with the general consensus but the fact that I am generally quoted between €150 and €200 extra for insuring the car in Dublin is a bit hard to swallow!

insurance

Hi just wanted to let you know what happened to my boss recently. She moved from Finglas to Ashbourne. She rang the insurance company to tell them of her country address and expected them to tell her she'd be due a refund, in fact they told her she'd owe them an extra €50 as now she had further to travel to work and therefore more scope to have an accident.

Re: insurance

I was working in Shannon and was renting in Limerick but also coming home to Dublin on my days off. I had my car insured at the Limerick address. When I moved back to Dublin and changed the address on the policy at the renewal date, the change of address cancelled out my reduction for an extra years no claims bonus and the premium stayed the same.

Therefor my Axa premium worked out cheaper with a Co Limerick address than a Dublin address.

Aren't all insurance policies taken out on the assumption of "Uberrimae Fides" or utmost good faith?

If you give false details when looking for insurance cover and this later transpires your policy will be null & void.

You may be saving €150 in the short-term but if you have a claim all the money you paid for the policy will be wasted.

Don't do it.

Back