Car Insurance - Differential pricing

carmel65

I just got a car insurance quote from AIG. It has increased purely because they increased their minimum premium from €280 last year to €330 this year.
When I did an online quote the minimum premium applied was €280. (Although the quote was still higher).
My question is, are insurance companies allowed to offer different minimum premiums if you are a new or old customer ?

The are not allowed to offer different prices to new vs existing clients where all other factors are the same. However they are allowed to offer promotional discounts to new business, and this is how they get around the restriction.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always come back in thr the front door as a new customer. Aptly more work.

I always reapply as a new customer every year. I always get the insurance cheaper than the renewal quote.

If you decide to stay with AIG you could take out an extra benefit to use up the surplus over 280 euro. Maybe better protected no claim bonus or a lower excess.

Zurich are currently offering an extra discount of you apply for motor insurance via the Onebigswitch website. This was the best value renewal I got this year.

What's been said here?

It was decreed that....
It is illegal for insurers to offer different prices between new and repeat customers

so the insurers say
Fair enough, we'll have the same prices for everyone and offer new customers "the new customer differential pricing" discount

and
Our legislative & regulatory systems are kosher or impotent.

I always reapply as a new customer every year. I always get the insurance cheaper than the renewal quote.

If you decide to stay with AIG you could take out an extra benefit to use up the surplus over 280 euro. Maybe better protected no claim bonus or a lower excess.

Zurich are currently offering an extra discount of you apply for motor insurance via the Onebigswitch website. This was the best value renewal I got this year.
Same, my quote as a "new customer" with Chill was €100 less then the renewal quote

The government should not be interfering in the free market.
Any government interference inevitably leads to a less competitive market and the consumer loses out.

Consumers should always shop around for the best deal and this behaviour should be encouraged by the government.

That's what I did last year. The minimum premium of c. €280 was kicking in for my quote and adding some extras didn't increase it so I added stuff that I wouldn't otherwise have bothered with.

Don't have my renewal from AIG yet but going in as a new customer gives me a quote of just under €300 again this year. But it's even cheaper and the €291.90 (?) minimum premium doesn't kick in if I go via GetSetGo.ie.

Last edited:
I just got a car insurance quote from AIG. It has increased purely because they increased their minimum premium from €280 last year to €330 this year.
Not my experience going via their website or GetSetGo just now. On the former the minimum premium seems to be €291.90. On the latter I can get as low as €230 if I don't add the two options (NCB insurance and windscreen cover/roadside assist etc.) and increase the voluntary excess to the max €750. Comprehensive in both cases.

Unfortunately the OneBigSwitch offer mentioned above wasn't competitive for my criteria. Only AIG direct or via GetSetGo seems to be competitive for my criteria this year.

Last edited:
Check your getsetgo quote, mine did not have the same benefits as the AIG new customer quote, in particular it did not include breakdown/homestart

Check your getsetgo quote, mine did not have the same benefits as the AIG new customer quote, in particular it did not include breakdown/homestart
As I already said all quotes mentioned are for identical cover. I explicitly added those options and NCB step-back protection on GetSetGo and double checked that in all cases the cover was identical.

What's been said here?

It was decreed that....
It is illegal for insurers to offer different prices between new and repeat customers

so the insurers say
Fair enough, we'll have the same prices for everyone and offer new customers "the new customer differential pricing" discount

and
They sure are. Asleep at the wheel no pun intended

Back