Car Insurance, 26yo male

M

mylo

I've been driving a 1.2 Clio for 2½ yrs now... as a named driver on my dad's policy. No claims, no accidents.

I also passed my test within the last year [zero faults ;)].

I thought I would get credit for my 2½yrs driving experience; but quotes for a policy in my own name are still wild:

Quinn: 970
Brittan: 1147
FBD: 1300
insure.ie: quotes from 1300 to 4k.
123.ie: will only quote with a 4 grand excess (which sort of defeats the purpose of comprehensive insurance when your car is only worth 4k...)

I basically want to know what kind of discount I would get for doing the Ignition Course? How much credit have other people got for doing the course?

Why doesn't my named driving experience count when it comes to starting my own policy?!

tks!

€970 for first time comprehensive insurance for a newly licensed driver doesn't sound too bad IMHO.

Have you checked out [broken link removed] (recommended by others-I have no connection), they are genrally competitive.

So are only quoting for XS Direct now? To be honest, as a relatively young male, I have never found to be that competitive.

As to Ignition-any quote you get presupposes that you 'Pass' the course. If you do better ('Merit') I think, you could get something like another 20% off.

mylo said:
123.ie: will only quote with a 4 grand excess

To clarify... www.123.ie offered a range of premia; but their premia and excesses are almost symmetrical.

That is, a 1k premium has a 4k excess; while conversely a 4k premium has no excess at all.

Back