Car impounded

W

Whybother

Please move if not in the right place

Our HP financed car was stolen and subsequently recovered 2 days later
In the interim the car was used in another crime

The people have been arrested and charged for the other crime

The car is with the guards technical group

The defendents solicitor has refused permission to release the car and it could take a year for this to go to trial

Where do we stand - we have no use of a car and are making payments against it?

As far as I know it's the buyer's responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is legitimate before entering into an agreement to purchase it. Sounds to me like you are stuck with the HP repayments even though you don't have the car and probably won't get it again.

As far as I know it's the buyer's responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is legitimate before entering into an agreement to purchase it.
When entering into the agreement it was legitimate. It was after the agreement was signed that the car was stolen, and during the two days it was missing, used in a crime (OP said another as the first crime was the car itself being stolen)..... as far as I understand from the OP.

I'm not sure if this changes your rights any though (I'd doubt it)....
Sounds to me like you are stuck with the HP repayments even though you don't have the car and probably won't get it again.

You should probably contact your insurer as this seems to be all resulting from the theft of the car. Have they given you any guidance so far?

Sorry - misread the original query and assumed that the car bought on HP was stolen prior to that.

When my car was stolen, and recovered, the guards took a photo for me beside the car.
They said this was so that the car wouldn't have to be impounded until the people that stole it went to trial.
So they kept it about a day to do fingering printing etc, but i was able to collect it the next day.

Back