Car import Question - bit different to usual

gc2006

Hi all - I'm currently living in Zurich. I'm going to be moving back to Ireland in about 8-9 months. My plan is to buy a car in the UK next month. I might or might not be able to drive it in Switzerland (think not, cost to import will prob be v. high). Most likely I'll leave it in a mate of mines in London for him to use now and then, and me when I go over to them about once a month. Then bring it back to Ireland with me when I move back.

I would have paid full price for it in the UK, and owned it > 6 months, during which time I was a full time resident outside of Ireland. The car will probably have not been imported in Zurich though.

With your understanding of the import laws, should I still be OK to bring this car back into Ireland without paying VRT when I move back home as I've owned it for > 6 months?

Thanks
G

Technically, I think you'll be ok but it may cause problems with the fact you are resident in Switzerland while the car is registered in the UK.

You could always see if you could insure the car with a Swiss company as if it's being used in Switzerland and lay it up there (or leave it in the UK). That would cover you when you bring it in to Ireland.

The car will probably have not been imported in Zurich though.

You are likely to be caught on that one so. From here: In the case of relief from import charges, you must have used the vehicle at your former normal place of residence.

My boss was working in Switzerland a few years ago and he bought a RHD Golf GTi when he arrived there, drove it for the time he was there and imported it to Ireland when he moved back.
He was VRT exempt.

You are likely to be caught on that one so. From here: In the case of relief from import charges, you must have used the vehicle at your former normal place of residence.

Leo's right here.

You would have to import the car to Switzerland and own it there for 6 months first to do it.

The Revenue website clearly states..

"it must have been acquired with all the appropriate local taxes paid and these must not have been exempted, or refunded in any way"

And

"you must have used the vehicle at your former normal place of residence"

I know from experience, that when doing these imports, the revenue go through them with a fairly fine tooth comb. They want Payslips, bank statements / utility bills etc to prove you were living in the country where the car is.

I think that your best bet is, to scour the Switzerland version of the Autotrader or Carzone and try and find a good right hand drive car. Because, Switzerland is a lhd country, you might get a good bargain. Own it over there for 6 months and then bring it home with you when moving back.

One other small thing in case you're not aware of it. If you are bringing in a car without paying the VRT under this exemption, you can't sell it here in Ireland for 12 months. Or, you can, but you have to go back and pay the VRT.

Back