Car import from USA-VRT ?

Ennie

Hi all,
A friend of mine has been living in the US for 7 years and holds an american citizenship. She is now planning on returning to live in Ireland so considering purchasing a new car(it is possible to order a Right Hand Drive) in US prior to departure and shipping it over to Ireland. It would mean a saving of up to 40% .

Will she have a requirement to pay VRT on the vehicle considering she is relocating from US to Ireland ?
If not, what information will she have to provide to the VRT office?

Thank You,
Ennie

I think she will have had to have owned the car at least 6 months immediately prior to moving over.

There are other criteria as well. Check Revenue.ie. There's a ton of stuff on this (and apparently a ton of paperwork!): [broken link removed]

VAT could be an issue as well as the car is being brought in from outside the EU.

no us state will allow you to register a right hand drive car or truck unless you are working for us postal service so proving ownership for the required 6 months could be a problem. only right hand drive cars easily available are jeep wranglers 4.0 litre petrol models . us cars need some modifications to make them legal to drive in ireland,tail lights etc. think long and hard before you import from us there are lots of cons.

thanks for the advise all, loks like there are a few more issues to think about!

Ennie

I imported a 1990 Volvo 8 years ago & I found driving in Ireland to be ok. I was even driving on the old N3..
You do need to own the vehicle 6 months

Back