Car Idling bad after bad start.

LFC Murphy

Hello there.

Just a quick one.

For some time now my car is causing issues. If I fail to start the car on the first key turn, sometimes it can result in it taking a few seconds of constently turing the engine over to get it started.

When this happens it causing the car to race but when you press the accelerator you think it was gonna die.

It usually takes a few minutes to 'clear the pipes' as it were for the car to run smoothly. It appears that the car gets flooded if it doesn't start after the first go. I think I can trace it back to a moment when I ran out of petrol. I know, in this day and age, but I over shot one morning and got caught out. Could this be the cause.

It should also be noted that it is more prone to this issue at anytime. Even more so when I have driven home from work (30mins) and need to go back out again. It appears that the warmer the engine the more prone it is.

Anyway has anyone had a similar issue?

When was last you had a service???
Some of the symptoms mentioned are caused by fouled spark plugs and perhaps a dirty airfilter. The overrevving sounds like its just your cable sticking and could do with a clean or replacing depending on the car.
As i mentioned, a basic service should sort and would be advisable considering the time of year pending. I guess your car is giving you a warning signal perhaps, as once the weather turns to the freezing conditions you might be calling work to tell them you'll be late!

I don't know if it is really the same problem but I had problems with my car idling badly and I brought it to a garage for service. The mechanic who looked at it said the leads which go to the spark plugs were corroding. It didn't cost much to have them replaced and the car ran brilliantly ever since

Could be the choke sticking open, mine did that a few times. Let me down in the most awkward of spots. Especially prone after a long drive. What type of car is it?

The issue is a year plus old now. I know I know. And I service the car myself every 7K (Oil, filters). I also changed the plugs.

The car is a P306 ('99, 1.4)

I have a feeling that it may be a sensor that was damaged when I ran out of petrol???

Sounds like the ISV (Idle Stabilisation Valve) or the choke. Either way a decent mechanic would diagnose and fix for under a €100. If it is a petrol sensor etc, which I have to say I think is unlikely, these can be easily reset with a diagnostics tool.

Regards,

Sam

Clean the injector , and the throttle housing with carburettor cleaner, If you service the car yourself-stick in a new air filter, and a set of plugs. Might be no harm to clean the spark plug leads. This should do the job

Back