Car hire without credit card

Marie M

We are going to France in 2 weeks and will need to hire a car when we arrive. Trouble is we do not possess a credit card(just Laser). We were trying to book online with a couple of companies, but no-one is having any of it, what can we do? the bank said it could take up to 2 weeks to process the application for a card, but we can't take the chance of going if we can't get a car. Is there such thing as a company that would take cash?

Thanks

i doubt anyone will give you a car without a credit card. If i were you i would apply to my bank for a credit card and get them to put a rush on it for you. 2 weeks should be enough. if you dont like the idea of the card cut it up when you get back.

I'm going to get a friend to rty to rush it through the bank. I know it makes sense not to just give cars out, without the security of their Credit Card details, I just never thought about it before.

I have been able to book cars for clients who found themselves in this situation by forwarding the agency credit card with no problems but this would be with a smaller local agency as opposed to with Hertz, Avis etc...
Whereabouts are you going?

Bordeaux, we only just decided at the weekend, but I think himself can get a card out in his name from his father - we hope. Everything is so last minute, we forgot our baby had no passport, so I have to race around for that aswell.

Feel free to contact me should you have any problems! Be aware that you will not be able to add an additional driver if that person does not have a credit card in their own name. Just so that you and your father-in-law are aware, the car hire company can sometimes block the card with the amount of the excess which can vary from 800 to 1500 euro depending on the model of the car and in some instances this can be doubled so that both theft and collision excesses are covered but this depends on the location. Hope this is of some help.

There are some car rental companies out there who will hire you a car without a credit card but they are hard to come by. Usually they require a large deposit e.g. €3000 as well for security.