Car hire - Speeding tickets, parking tickets and congestion charge

Redzer

Hi,

Going to London next month and hiring a car at Gatwick for the weekend. Will be going in and out of Congestion Zone and wondering what the story would be regarding ignoring congestion charge (and also speeding and parking tickets while I'm on the subject - assume its a similar story). Do the car hire people put any such items onto your credit card whenever the tickets / bills make their way back to them? Anyone have any experience of this or work for a car hire company?

Do the car hire people put any such items onto your credit card whenever the tickets / bills make their way back to them?
Maybe. Or they forward your license details to the relevant authorities. (Depending on whether there is just a bill to pay or points involved?).

While you're at it, why don't you sell the car for cash? Make sure you take all the car hire stickers off first.

Any fines or fixed penalties will most definately be billed to your credit card. Congestion charge too i'm afraid.

And one bit of advice, don't bother parking illegally in London or the car might well be on the back of a truck if you get back in time to see it driving off.

Yes it's in the Ts&Cs of any hire agreement i've seen that the hirer is liable for any traffic violations / parking fines / congestion charge etc. (plus an admin fee usually). There's no congestion charge at the weekend so you shoudl be clear on that score.

Driving into central London is pretty painful even at the weekend the traffic can be awful ... are you sure!

Thanks all.

Clubman - No plans on speeding or parking illegally but in case of emergencies.....

yoganmahew - Interesting idea on selling the car for cash....I mean it will be insured in the event of theft and I could run out of cash!

GarBow - Thanks for the bottom line answer. I'll be on my best behaviour.

EvilDoctorK - Ditto. I was so farsighted that I booked flights months ago to London on the assumption that Munster would be playing London Wasps somewhere in London. Crashing with the brother in Brixton but the game is on in Coventry and so the car hire option was thrashed out as the best way fwd.