Car Hire Problem on Hols

149oaks

Just returned from holiday and had a problem with Car Hire. I booked the car through a U.K. broker Carjet.com from Reus in Spain. I got a voucher from them for Goldcar Rental at the Airport. This voucher contained the price quoted which included insurance.
When I went to Goldcar to pick up the car all was fine until they asked me for the address we would be staying at while on holidays. W were going to France so I gave the French Address. The Goldcar representative then said additional insurance of €8/day would be required for taking the car to France. When I queried this she said it was on the voucher – but when we both checked there was no mention of it. She then called her Head office who confirmed that the additional insurance was required if the car was moving off the Iberian Peninsula. She then called Carjet for me, but the guy I spoke to was very unhelpful and basically said it was on the voucher, is on the website, I should have asked anyway and then hung up. Getting nowhere I had no option only pay the extra €136 (18 days) to get the car.
Since coming home I mailed Carjet and got the following response first:
With regards to the additional insurance to travel into France this is
shown both on our website and 2nd page of your printable car rental
voucher, the insurance is 8 Euros per day, the normal insurance included
in our rates does not cover you for travel into France.”
I again checked the voucher and it’s not mentioned, it never came up (or was it asked) when I made the original booking on the website. I also looked on the Carjet website and can’t find anywhere anything about additional insurance for taking a car to France from Spain. So I queried again and got the following:
“As advised our car hire rates only apply to the country you are
hiring from. Extra's that are not included are subject to the local
terms & conditions of our supplier, in this case Goldcar.
Local extra's form no part of contract between yourself and Carjet and
are subject to change without prior notice. This information is also
published on our website.Not all our supplier's will even allow cross-border they require the car to be kept within Spain mainland. The supplier's that do allow this charge between 7 or 8.00EUR per day for every day of the rental.
Unfortunately Goldcar cannot make any refund as all the charges we
implemented correctly and signed for. I can only recommend that if you book through us again and plan on visiting other countries that if you contact us beforehand we can check if there are any restirctions/charges.”
This is the 5th year we’ve flown to Spain and driven to France but it’s the first time this ever was an issue (previously I used Avis, Hertz & Atesa).
Any views/opinions on what I can do?

Any views/opinions on what I can do?

If you are absolutely sure about this not being mentioned, I would advise them firstly that you will never use them again, and secondly you will advise everyone you can about their non-transparent practices.

I wouldn't do anything else really for the sake of €136

Different company, SIXT in France, at CDG , picking up the car I had booked and paid a deposit on on line , they asked for, no demanded 2 credit cards, didn’t have 2 credit cards, had licence, c/c, passport.
I had booked a E220, auto, , the keys where on the desk, no 2nd card no automatic available!. Could give me a Saxo 2door manual!!!

Large queue forming behind, I started to apologise to them, and giving them a running commentary on the proceedings. Wife and kids where mortified of course.

Ok then,can I speak to a manager, " I am the manager”, ok then can I speak to your manager, " not here, ring them then.!.

A distant voice, you need two cards, why I ask, my card could buy the car! Its in there terms.

Oh any by the way your online hire was cancelled yesterday!!!!

Oh says I, how come your colleague was giving me the car 20 minutes ago up till the requirement for a 2nd card becoming a problem.

And if you not giving me a car I want my deposit back here and now.

Will ring u back.

I didn’t move from front of queue

5 mins a call, rapid French been spoken, I am been described, as is my wife and 3 enfant.

Ok sir we will make an exception this time, desk clerk is giving me daggers!, I give the crowd an up date , grab keys and ran.

( bottom line was I think they made an error in the charge , while waiting my wife had shopped down at the other car hire desks( plan b) quoting 800-1000 Euro for similar car, our price was 385euro for 4 days hire.)

Car was a dream and Celine the Sat Nav and I are running away together.

Last edited:
Thanks Caveat.
Yes I'm 101% sure it wasn't mentioned anywhere. Why do you say for €136 it's not worth doing anything? - this represnents a 32% increase on what I expected to pay. Is there no Ombudsman or is it the Office of Fair Trading in the UK. Maybe they have high charges for following up?
Anyway does anyone think I have a case? If it's false selling/misrepresentation putting the company through some process is always a way of getting a bit back!!

I travel to France about 3 times a year and fly into Spain and hire a car from Girona airport.

I used Carjet once and was hit with the €8 per day insurance - it's detailed on their website [broken link removed] - see Cross Border Charges.

I only use Hertz now, they don't mind where you take the car, the rates are competitive and the cars are in excellent condition.

Thanks Delgirl
I hadn't seen that on the site. However there was/is no mention of it on the voucher they keep quoting to me. I guess you discovered this from experience also and like me I won't be using Carjet ever again - so watch out everyone.

Just for future the only ones I think dont charge for taking the car from Spain to France are Hertz and Europcar all the rest have it somewhere in their terms and conditions, we used to always use Holiday Autos (as they give a free additional driver) and request that they allocate us to Europcar but they have recently changed their main supplier so it is harder to get Europcar with them now so usually end up with HErtz.

Back