Car Hire Portugal

Check the Portugal section of trip advisor. Also heed the warnings for various companies - and the elements of the rental on which they can burn you on.

Check online for a car hire company with reviews as i dont have any specific name for you :(

I've concluded from 25 years of car hire that the big companies are not only more expensive, but just as likely to scam you as anyone else. Have been taken for a ride more than once by them.

So now I go for the cheapest ... and ironically have found them to be better as well as cheaper. I have used these people many times in different countries, including Lisbon and Faro ...

http://www.economycarrentals.com/

They are just a broker. They will actually use a local company wherever you are picking up from. But they seem to have good rates everywhere, and they toss in some extras like extra drivers and CDW that you would otherwise pay through the nose for.

Now, mind you, I've never had occasion to call in their CDW, and the local company won't handle it -- you have to get damage reports and submit them to the broker. So I can't vouch for every aspect of it.

But you will get an attentive service from a local company who will probably meet you in person and pick up from you in person from the terminal setdown on the way back. None of the too-cool-for-school Hertz or Avis boyos looking down their noses at you.

I've just recently used autoeurope to book a car (I used the German website since that's where I live but that link is to the Irish one). Won't pick it up till next week but the website was recommended to me by several people on another forum. It's basically a search engine for all (most?) of the car hire places. So I'm renting the car from Avis but booked and paid for it through autoeurope. And definitely got a cheaper price than booking directly.

I also got a recommendation from the same forum (one for ex-pats in Germany) for insurance4carhire, where you can buy an annual policy fairly cheaply to insure the cost of the excess when hiring cars. Since the first time I didn't pay for the extra insurance when hiring a car was also the first time I had an accident and ended up having to pay nearly the full excess amount, I've always paid extra since. But the extra insurance from car hire places really is very expensive so it's nice to have this annual policy now. Again, I've only just signed up for this so can't say what it's like to actually process a claim but so far the service has been good.

Always happy to give a plug to an Irish company whom I've found very good to deal with in the past and who have often matched the best offer I could get elsewhere... www.arguscarhire.ie. They also offer a "price promise" and claim to be offering a 20% discount until April 7th (subject to availability and T&C).

There are tolls on the motorway and most care hire companies exploit this.I have used Luzcar.com multiple times each year and they the best attitude.
Late arrival and your name is on the car windscreen & key in the wheelwell. Match the fuel level when you return the car.
Talk to them about the tolls.

Back