Car Hire - Left Hand Drive

DACMAN

Hi,
I'll be hiring a car in Portugal in the summer - Q. are the clutch brake & accelerator in the same locations (i.e Left to right) as a right hand drive car?
& is it worth getting an automatic over a manual, I would be comfortable driving on the opp. side of the road from holidaying in France but this was with my own car.
Thanks
DACMAN

Q. are the clutch brake & accelerator in the same locations (i.e Left to right) as a right hand drive car?
Yes.

& is it worth getting an automatic over a manual
If it's your first time and there's not a price difference, then it might be an idea, as the stick is obviously in the same place; i.e. on your other side. That being said, you get used to it very quickly.

adam

The clutch , brake and accelerator are all in the same place. It is so much easier driving on the right with a LH drive than with your own car. It makes roundabouts and cornering much easier. Some of the Portuguese are not the best of drivers partic. on motorways! Automatics often cost a lot more. You soon get used to the gear stick position. I found the biggest problem was the mirror as we are used to looking to the left but the mirror is to the right-you just end up looking at the wing mirror. There are several roundabouts coming out of Faro airport to practice on!

Back