Car Hire in South Africa.

Dman

Hi Folks,

Heading to SA on our honeymoon and just have a couple of questions re Car hire, that I'm hoping someone can give me a hand with.

Planing on flying into Capetown, and staying in Camps Bay. Staying in Capetown for 5 days.
Would we need the Car in Capetown or would we be better off on doing tours etc, and then getting it delivered to the Hotel the day before we are leaving?? e.g. to Drive to the winelands and then on to the Garden Route?

We are going from Plettenbe Bay to our Game Reserve in Karega, and then leave the car back in Port Eliz airport.

What kind of inusrance would we need?? Is milage included in the prices?? Any else I should be aware of.

Thanks.

hi there,

congrats on your upcoming wedding. I was in sa for my honeymoon last june. We hired a car for two days in Capetown, to do the drive to the cape of good hope - which was fantastic. We also drove to the winelands on the second day which was great. We spent 5 days in Capetown in total and the other 3 days we didn't need a car as 1 day was spent up on table mountain (the hotel staff drove us - 5 min spin), another day we went shark diving , where we were picked up in a minibus. The third day was spent on the waterfront and robben island, so we didn't really need a car.

As far as i remember, the hotel staff booked the car for us. It included insurance, mileage etc. we paid for the petrol ourselves. The roads over there are great and its very easy to find your way around.

Hope this is helpful - wish i was going back...

Milly

Hi, there is another thread going on South Africa at the moment, don't know how to link it but you'll find it in Holidays section. I would get the car for Capetown. Mileage and insurance were included for us too, just had to buy petrol for it. Be careful in the petrol stations, all of a sudden you'll have 3 people washing the car and wheels etc, you have to be quick to tell them no or they'll insist you pay for it.

We actually did the tour for Cape of Good Hope and found out so much more than we would being on our own. You have to watch out for snakes and baboons and allsorts so it's good to have the guide to let you know all these things.

Ah South Africa the memories

For car hire try this croud they are the cheapest

http://www.aroundaboutcars.com/

Cannot remember what we paid but it was cheaper than any of the competition as checked this out before going All you need is a clean full licence. Got an international driving licence from the AA just in case cops asked for it At petrol stations just tip them a few ran in euro terms 1-50c not much and they are happy with that

Did the garden route first and well worth it stopping at Jeffries Bay Knysa etc Port Liz is a dump dont spend to much time there if you can avoid it Watch out for speed cops along the way. Other motorists have a tendancy to flash their lights as a pre warning so watch your speed

Went on the tours in cape town as went for a holiday not a driving experience. With Table mountain, Robben island, township tour and Cape of good hope did not need it. Got taxis as night they can be expensive but at least you can have a drink

Try emailing this guy he helped us out a lot name is Mansur Enus entechtours at yahoo.co.uk well recommended as a taxi / tour guide

Any questions let me know

good luck with your honeymoon

Hi a good tip for you is to not go for a premium car as you will stand out for thefts and car-jacking as they will think you have money and expensive goods etc.

LIVERLIPS said:
Hi a good tip for you is to not go for a premium car as you will stand out for thefts and car-jacking as they will think you have money and expensive goods etc.

Yep ... but remember distances are fairly large too so I wouldnt' go for a tiny car either ... something in between should be fine

Yep, in between should be fine, we had a Corolla saloon, practically new. Had heard about the car jacking but never came across anything like that. A few of the people we met up with had rental BMW's and SUV'S and were grand too, suppose its luck really.

We couldn't get over the amount of luxury cars such as BMW's and Merc etc on the roads in South Africa...which is saying something coming from Ireland! (and yes there are plenty of absolute wrecks around too)

Get a car with Aircon, it can be hot!