Car Hire in Lanzarote?

lucylou

hi
Just wondering if anyone would recommend hiring a car in Lanzarote? We would like to see a few things like the Ntional Park, and a boat trip etc. But we were wondering is the island big enough/have enough attractions to warrant hiring a car? We will be there with a 4 year old for a week, so we will be on the beach quite a bit.
Is it easier to just book a few trips with a company? Car hire seems pretty cheap tho, with Hertz?
Thanks

Hi Lucylou

We did this a couple of years ago but just took the car for 1 day. Wish we'd taken it for 2. The island is very small but there are quite a few attractions and if you want to stop anywhere you won't necessarily get to see everything in one day. And with a 4 year old having a strict timetable probably won't work. Car hire is pretty cheap and we found that driving was pretty safe, not too many maniacs on the road like some other holiday destinations. Lovely to drive through the park and up to the viewing point at the north point.

Hope that helps

Trish

Thanks for that Trish,
thats one thing i forgot to consider- the driving!
I'l be the one doing the driving as hubby has no full licience.
God do they drive on the opposite side over there?? :eek:

Other side of the road, I'm afraid. But for the record I was in the states last year with a friend and we got a car and she didn't want to drive so I did it. Hadn't done it before but couldn't believe how easy it was. Ok, having an automatic made it easier cos I didn't have to worry about changing gears. But I found that because I was in the other seat my personal position in the road was the same, i.e. I sat closest to the white line, if you get me, and that made it feel more natural, so it was kind of automatic to take a wide left turn and a tight right because I was still in the right place.
You'll be fine.

Used carjet.com twice for car rental in Lanzarote. About 160euro for a Peugeot 206 size car for a week - all insurance and 2 drivers covered.

Picked the car up at airport and drove to accomodation. Was handy for the odd spin in the evening etc. Was no more expensive than going on a few of the organised bus tours and you could do your own thing.

Roads are very quiet over there. Agree with previous poster's comments on sitting on the other side of car. You get used to it soon and going around roundabouts "the wrong way" etc becomes natural. It actually feels as strange when you return to your regular side of road when you return home.

Back