Car Hire, Greece, sat nav

Optimistic

Hi all, We are going to a friends wedding in Greece in July, three hours drive from Athens in Patras. Can anyone give their thoughts and experiences on the best place to get a good deal on car hire please?
How difficult is it to navigate ones way in Greece? We are thinking of buying a Sat Nav, probably a Garmin as it would cost 9 euros per day to hire a sat nav. Do people have any advice on what is the best option to go for when buying a sat nav. I presume on line is the cheapest option.

Thanks for any advice given,

Can't advise on car hire in Greece but have used Hertz franchise in Italy, Germany, Poland, Holland, Spain and UK to good effect and good pricing. Same franchise is not so good in Ireland. Paid 50Eur for Gold membership years ago and never regretted that except of course on home turf where service was hopeless.
Had the same dilemma about the cost of Sat Nav and bought a Garmin with European maps. Saved a fortune and found very good mapping data. Some noticible oddities in Italy with service stations, closed for years, but overall could not fault it. Of course like any Sat Nav you should use your common sense also if it appears to be pointing you in the wrong direction.

I visit Greece regularly and generally use Argus Car Hire or Holidayautos to book. I take my Garmin sat nav with European maps with me, and it's fine. Amazon is probably the best place to buy one.

Petrol is very expensive in Greece now - at least 1.70 a litre. Road signs are good, the no entry sign is the standard European one of a white dash on a red circle. Driving is fairly mad though - keep your eyes open, remember that flashing headlights are a warning to get out of the way (not a polite 'you can go now') and if you are unlucky to break down and are stuck on the hard shoulder, get out of the car. Drivers often use the hard shoulder as another lane and staying in the car on it is lethal.

Other than that, the country is lovely and people extremely friendly and good fun. Lots of interesting places to visit, too.

thanks

thanks for the replies. Will check out the options re car hire given and settle on a garmin sat nav.
Thanks for the tips.