Car Hire Gatwick Airport

IrishGunner

As the title states looking to hire a car for a week collecting and deliver to Gatwick airport

Checked out skyscanner for comparisons etc and looking for something simple for family of 3.Staying in Sussex so wont be doing mad mileage and may go down to the coast

Any recommendations etc as plenty of options just want to choose right company and all the hidden costs as have not hired a car out in ages

Sorry but I have no previous experience of renting at Gatwick Airport but just wonder if gocar might be an option. Friends have used the service elsewhere and have found it good.

There is a very old thread here from AAM which might give some help.

Thanks had a look and seems a bit more expensive than say some of the other car rental comparison sites but thanks for the suggestion

Its the hidden extras that I am worried about and although price looks good you go into the T&C and all the excess and deposit difference for different cars

Just going to look for something small and simple

Whatever you do, make sure the company you choose is based at the Car Rental facility at the airport. Most of the cheaper options are offsite in some area nearby, which means waiting for a shuttle to take you there (could be 5 miles or more) and then filling out the paperwork there before getting the car. Same on return which means you may have to factor up to an hour extra for your journey time. We rent twice a year there and go for Europcar or Sixt.

Whatever you do, make sure the company you choose is based at the Car Rental facility at the airport. Most of the cheaper options are offsite in some area nearby, which means waiting for a shuttle to take you there (could be 5 miles or more) and then filling out the paperwork there before getting the car. Same on return which means you may have to factor up to an hour extra for your journey time. We rent twice a year there and go for Europcar or Sixt.
Thanks but massive difference in price but trying to get everything organised before we travel try to reduce paperwork

Brother in law also recommended https://www.reducemyexcess.co.uk

so stop hire company selling anything extra. If I add Mrs Gunner also might bump up price also

Was going to just use public transport but price of train travel in London is crazy

The price of bringing many cars near London city centre is also crazy with emission zone and congestion charges, parking etc.
Not going anywhere near the city staying in the burbs

Skyscanner seems best but cheaper options getting mixed reviews on trust pilot

Checked out https://www.vipcars.com/ and came up with decent deal for a small car that can collect at the airport .Company is Drivalia and ok reviews on Trustpilot. Just need to read the T&C

Only issue is we have to bring Child Booster seat so have to see do we have to check this on on flight with Ryanair and does it count as 'excess' luggage

Went with VIP cars a broker and car getting from Drivalia. There are so many T&C and needed to check mileage as wont be doing many miles. Landing in South Terminal so have to get Metro to North as collection point there. Also going to check with extra excess with another party just checked cover4rentals need to check others. Also to add another driver extra so its me that will be doing all the driving:( So many speed cameras in the UK and speed limits low in areas so need to keep eye on that.

Yeah will take plenty of pictures when collecting noting any scratches etc. The extras are crazy ie for baby seat and sat nav etc. So using google maps and hopefully car has usb port. Doubt it will have Android Auto as they cant tell me that??

Now lets hope I get the car I picked and not a trabant or Reliant Robin;)

Went with VIP cars a broker and car getting from Drivalia. There are so many T&C and needed to check mileage as wont be doing many miles. Landing in South Terminal so have to get Metro to North as collection point there. Also going to check with extra excess with another party just checked cover4rentals need to check others. Also to add another driver extra so its me that will be doing all the driving:( So many speed cameras in the UK and speed limits low in areas so need to keep eye on that.

Yeah will take plenty of pictures when collecting noting any scratches etc. The extras are crazy ie for baby seat and sat nav etc. So using google maps and hopefully car has usb port. Doubt it will have Android Auto as they cant tell me that??

Now lets hope I get the car I picked and not a trabant or Reliant Robin;)
Count yourself lucky if you get a Trabant. They are classics now and are not often seen on these islands.

The extras are crazy ie for baby seat
Be wary of hiring a baby seat from most of the car hire places. Most don't guarantee the appropriate seat will be available and you hear lots of horror stories of people getting damaged seats with no alternative.

Be wary of hiring a baby seat from most of the car hire places. Most don't guarantee the appropriate seat will be available and you hear lots of horror stories of people getting damaged seats with no alternative.
Bringing over our own baby seat as would not trust car hire

Didn't go for any extras just basic compact car

Reactions: Leo
Back