Car Hire Eligibility in UK

Smashbox

I have a quick question, hoped to find the answer here...

I'm 26, have had a full licence for 1 year now (late starter) and have a UK learners permit.

I have an uncle that was just diagnosed with cancer. He is not expected to live long and so I am pretty much planning ahead to when this happens.

I was hoping to fly to the UK and rent a car. My question is will I be able to rent a car in the UK? I had a provisional for 3 years before taking my test and passing a year ago, so one years full Irish licence. My UK licence is only a Provisional, so won't count for anything.

Can you rent a car with just this length of time on a full licence?

My other option is to check if I'd be covered under my own insurance, with Quinn, to bring my own car over by ferry and drive the distance instead.

Thanks for your help.

Your insurance with Quinn should cover you on your own car in the UK and your "breakdown assist", if you have it,should apply as well, check your certificate and policy booklet or with Quinn customer service. I think you may be limited to 30 days with your car out of the country on your insurance.

Most car-hire firms here (not sure about UK) seem to require a minimum of 2 years experience on a full licence before renting.

Your Quinn policy should cover you for the territorial limits of Ireland, NI, UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man and for transit between them - e.g. on the ferry. Check with them to make sure, this is a valuable benefit.

The breakdown service should apply similarly but ensure that you know the Irish number to call from the UK - 00 353 91 560668 - and that you have a means to call international numbers. The Irish number 1 800 70 60 80 won't be answered if called from the UK.

I believe the 30 day limit applies to other EU countries, you just have to tell them beforehand.

SSE

Thanks all, I'll have to look into it, seems driving is the option so far.