Car hire, do you need to have full license for > 1 year

glendale

According to the Hertz website [broken link removed] you need to "At the time of rental, the driver must present a valid national driver's licence which has been held for at least 1 year", is this the case for all car hire firms?

This seems to depend on where you are hiring the car, does anyone know more about this?

i had this problem in france a few years ago, (i had booked online with hertz) i lied and said it was my second license and they still wouldn't budge so i went to the next counter (avis) and they had no problems hiring me the car.

We rent cars, with us it just means we have to put the car on your insurance instead of the optition of buying our ins as well with the car.

Best off to ring your local hertz or Enterprise centre and see what they say.

i tried renting a car a few years ago and because i was under 25 they wouldn't rent to me. i had my full licence about 2 years at that stage. best bet is to contact whichever car rental place you want to rent from

Some places require 3yrs. Big problem if you arrive in late on a Fri night somewhere and need a car.

I ran into that problem with my 2nd licence. Looked like I'd only 1yrs driving instead ofg 11yrs and it made it difficult to hire cars. Argued with the motor office in town and they wouldn't put the start date of my first licence on it, even though they have since change their policy and new liences have the start of the first licence. Noticed a error on the licence which they had to correct. Licence came back with the correct start date, but the error still on it.

Just another reason to hang on to my English drivers licence - lasts until the day before my 70th birthday!