Car has had bonnet resprayed - should I tell potential buyers?

BobbyFowler

I bought a 05 motor around a year and a half ago. Car was perfect but a guy I know had a look at it a few months later & said that there was some damage done to the front panel & that it had been resprayed in this area. On first glance you wouldn't notice that there's been damage done but if you look closely you'll see where the work & respray jobs were carried out. Two people in the industry have looked at it & said that the cars fine apart from this & that the inner workings of the car weren't affected. I'm living abroad & have left the car with the folks. I've got the car in at the lowest price on buyandsell & carzone. 2nd hand market is dead & the first call was yesterday. He brought along an expert who spotted the respray job. Needless to say he didn't buy. Should I tell the old man to be upfront with whoever is looking at it, or take a chance that the punter who comes along will be the same mindset as myself, not be too pushed & not have an expert in tow. I've got it in at around 20% less than similar cars but in a market that's dead, it doesn't seem to make any difference. I don't know if the damage could be used as justification as to why the car's being sold cheaper than the norm. I'd prefer to do the selling myself but dad's looking for guidance..... I don't want him making small talk & then saying......"now let's look at my sons crashed car"

Thats a tricky one alright. I'd err on the side of telling the potential buyer and explaining that it was just the bonnet was scraped or something like that. Any reasonable person would not be too worried about that.
Good luck selling the car.

ollie

Honesty is usually the best policy. If there's any chance that you can get a mechanic to put in writing that the damage was purely cosmetic, then so much the better.

Was it crashed? If so you'd be better off being truthful about it.

If it was purely cosmetic - stone chips maybe - I'd use that as a positive in the sale.

It definitely got a bang on the side & was fixed up. There's no talking it up. When I bought it, I went onto Carzone, went to the cheapest price for the car I wanted & went for that. It had really low milage, looked grand & drove grand.

Back