Car for 100 miles a day

BCPK

I am about to commit to a new job which could involve driving approx 100 miles a day. 80 miles on motorway and 20 miles on a country road. I’ll have to purchase a set of wheels and my priorities / criteria are; Safety, Reliability, Economical to run and fairly good-looking. My budget is max 25k euro for a second-hand. I have narrowed it down to the following;

VW Golf 1.9tdi
Audi A3 5dr Sportback 1.9tdi
Volvo S40 1.6/2.0 diesel.

Single man, no kids etc so it’s a car for solo mio. What do people think?

Of the three mentioned I would go for the Audi.
The Mazda 6, 2 litre diesel might be worth looking at too.

For that budget you would get an Accord 2.2 turbo diesel, they only come in top spec and are fully loaded with leather etc. You should get a 2004 one for that money, bear in mind that they are €43-44K new so you would be getting a whole lot more car for your money than the above.

Audi's have a brutal ride quality. Haven't owned a VW Golf but have had a Polo and wife currently has a new passat and have never had problems, although I find the seats in VW's uncomfortable on long journeys. I currently drive a Volvo S40 about 110 miles per day round trip and I find it excellent. Fuel economy is good, the car is safe and reliable but most of all it is extremely comfortable. My volvo is the older shape / model. These can be picked up well under your budget with a very high spec. I have heard some horror stories about the newer model and Volvo dealer service (in Dublin anyway) is atrocious.

I would not buy a new car for this sort of commute. After three years you will have clocked about 75k miles and it will be more difficult to shift. I traded in a 3 year old focus recently with 104k and got about 5k less than I would have on a average mileage car. If you go for a used car then the depreciation wont be as much of an issue. For that budget for a second hand car I would consider a Volvo S60 D5 SE, a seriously fast car with excellent fuel economy and comfort. I am going to upgrade my S40 which has 150k miles on the clock for one of these as soon as it stops running.

surely for comfort and safety you should be looking at saloons over the similar hatch back. Thats a lot of driving and Id look at an Auto as well.

deffo stick to the 1.9Td ir 2l options regardless, Overtaking will be key on getting places on time !

It will be second-hand, regardless!! I am leaning towards saloons, I guess the hatch-back reflects my age and status. Hadn't thought of Accord but will look into it, whats the mpg there? Perhaps should swap the A3 for A4, but I take cruchan's point that they are hard rides for long journeys. Will check out the S60's, they look big & cumbersome though. Thanks.

Out of the 3 you're picked, I'd get the Golf....the A3 has a very firm ride setting which can be uncomfortable in long bumpy journeys. If you have a choice of Gold, get one with sports seats as these are very supportive and comfy.
If you were thinking about saloons, there are alot of used 3 series BMWs with great diesel engines. I'd consider these before the A4...even the older body 3 series as its a great car. Honda Accord is a great car too.

How about the new Camry (circe2002 on) diesel model for peanuts??? Will go forever and is comfortable & economical and you could fit the kitchen sink into the back....

In terms of looks I don't really rate the camrys. They are old man cars (no offence!!), guess at 29 and single I'd prefer something a bit more fashionable, though not flash!! if i could find affordable BMW with acceptable mileage, 30-40k I'd consider it.

Must say the mazda 6 is a good choice, have one myself, done 64kmiles in the last two years and it's going like a train. If you're getting one go for the Sports Touring model. Buckets of extras, incl cruise control for those days on the motorway you just can't be bothered. The new Volvo S40 is nice car too, try for the SE model, or better still the winter pack, with leather heated seats! Most important thing I'd go for is comfort.

Let's face it, if you are going to spend at least 2-3 hours every day in this car, make sure it is comfortable and has an interior you really like.Have a look at all the cars you've thought about, get a test drive and see which one is for you.
Is fuel economy a big issue? Performance? Ride and handling. If you have open country roads to drive on, I'd make sure I enjoy driving those 100 miles every day!

yeah, performance would be an issue. I drive a 1.4 golf at the moment and am so bored with it. Something that i could enjoy the country roads on would be great (within reason) thats why I thought the A3 may be a runner. S40 sounds like its comfortable and nice interior but lacking punch?? correct me if i'm wrong. Have driven BMW, good drive, but you don't get a whole lot on the interior for your buck. Guess i dont want to be at the fuel pump too often eating into my pay rise!!!

The Accord should return in the mid 50s mpg over a long run, performance will be great as is comfort. I had a petrol one and loved it, but it was too thirsty and I couldnt afford a diesel at the time (2003 and the new shape was just out). If you like the look of them go drive one, they are fantastic and have the best engine in the class.

I have a new golf GTI now and love it. Getting 30-35 mpg which is very good although may seem steep compared t the diesels though I have no qualms as I enjoy driving it so much. You might get a 2005 model at your price range.
In view of your age and I guess looks might be an issue, what do you think of the sporty looking Seat Leon TDIs? VW/Audi engines, VW parts bin, and looks great to some, and in your price range. You'd get one at better spec than the golf or audi. The current TV ad has made me look twice at them. Not a suggestion but more an idea.

don't really know the Seats to be honest. The chat has made me reconsider things, especially with regard to comfort. Will check out the Honda Accord, Volvo S40 and BMW 320d. Thanks for comments

Have an A4 myself, great car for comfort but Audi suspension is not for this country, very weak, you'll end up replacing suspension arms alot. have a look at the Toyota Avensis, I know boring, but it comes in a 2.2 150'ish HP or the 2.0 126 Hp version can't get safer!! 5 star euroncap. The Honda Accord 2.2 diesel is a cracker though and is high on my list along with the avensis. 140 HP safe and reliable, I'd knock the golf on the head to be honest , comon as muck!! lol

Back