Car ferry return on the same day

Brendan's rationale seems reasonable to me, conjured moral requirements notwithstanding.

I assume anyone arriving on the ferry will have to complete the passenger locator form?
Yes. You can fill it in on the boat at the reception area. There are plenty of pens and forms there. It will delay you getting off though as there is always some spanner who didn't do it or filled it in wrong.

Hi Peanuts

I was wondering about that.

I will be sitting in my car for 6 hours.

I will be visiting one couple in a rural area who have been keeping to themselves.

I won't be in any pubs, cafés or other public places.

I think it's less risky doing my weekly shopping in Tescos in Sandymount and going for a walk on the beach.

It's certainly less risky than going into a restaurant of café in Dublin.

I probably wouldn't fly to Britain , or anywhere else, for the foreseeable future, but the Ferry seems a very safe option.

Brendan
You will have to get out of your car on the ferry and sit in the lounge or somewhere else like that. Hence, if effect you will be sitting in a cafe. You can't say sitting in your car whilst on the ferry (unless they've changed the rules as a result of Covid)

You will have to get out of your car on the ferry and sit in the lounge or somewhere else like that. Hence, if effect you will be sitting in a cafe. You can't say sitting in your car whilst on the ferry (unless they've changed the rules as a result of Covid)
I believe he was referring to the 3 hour trip to Ludlow and back to 'Olyhead.

Easily done and irish ferries have a 24 hour return offer of €199.
Arriving 10.35, you'll be off the ferry by 11.

Ludlow easily doable in 3 hours.
Not a route known for traffic delays. Even less so at present. Mostly motorway standard dual carriageway

Leave Ludlow by 3.30 - 4 and you'll be in plenty of time for the ferry.

Watch out for the speed cops on the A55 - they love Irish registrations.

No advance booking requirements, so check the weather a few days in advance for any windy spell before booking.

Are you saying that if I wanted to go tomorrow morning, just drive down to the port and pay as I get on?
Not quite drive up and pay, but you could book now for the 8am sailing tomorrow and back tomorrow night and the €199 return fare applies.

Normally you'd be looking at full ferries at this time of year and you wouldn't get a place at short notice but that's not the case this year.

Thanks peemac

The prices seem all over the place. How do you get this €199 return fare?

Is there any advantage in booking ahead?

Brendan

Got it by simply putting in the 2 dates into their booking system https://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/to-ireland-from-britain
Once the return date is same day or next day the 99.50 each way fare appears.

But possibly a spanner in the works - Irish Ferries have not sailed the faster Dublin Swift for the past couple of months, but looks like it will start again in August. That may make things tight for the evening sailing

Back