Car crash query

johnnyg

Hi,

If you have a car crash, you are entiltled to claim for depreciation due to having a crashed car, can anyone tell me if this is off the value of the car or the amt of damage cause. I think you can claim for 20% if its less than a year and less after that, 15 & 10% depending on age of car.

Is there such a thing as inconvenience money payed out?

Are insurance companies easy to deal with in these situations or do you have to haggle with them on costs?

Any info greatly appreciated

If you're claiming off your own Comprehensive policy I doubt very much your own insurer would agree to pay depreciation - you've signed up to a policy which no doubt gives them sole discretion in settling your claim. If another party is to blame for the accident you have a much better chance of getting some kind of depreciation from their insurers -- if you feel like haggling...

there are giving me 10%, but i was told by my own insurance company that i should be getting 20% as my car was less than a year old..

I've always looked for 10% for cars up to two years old. After that they tend not to pay anything. Haggle for 20% though I'm not sure it's enshrined in the law anywhere...