Car choices - advice appreciated

M

mal24

Very impressed with the responses to the threads in this forum so I have a question if someone could help me out.
Im looking for a 2nd hand car (hatchback) '06 and I have narrowed the search down to:
Focus 1.6 Zetec
Mazda 3 Touring
Seat Leon (worried about resale value!?)
VW Golf

Really like the design of the Seat Leon but have not test driven yet.
Im also concerned about the resale value down the line on the Leon, anyone any knowledge on this?
I have an infant and a 6 year old so there will be a baby seat and booster seat in the back and a buggy in the boot.
Any advice on the cars in the list would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

I'd say the Focus or the mazda3.

Mazda 3 being my personal choice (probably not the choice of most on AAM) for reliability and looks. Although the looks suffer in HB form.

The Focus is certainly a good car but just not high enough up on the reliability ratings for me - although it's not bad. Also, don't like the look of them which is obviously a personal thing. The Focus will probably be the most comfortable out of the 4 though.

Golf - totally overrated IMHO - way too expensive, mean spec. & nowhere near as reliable as VW claim.

Leon - looks great, great to drive but yes, uncertain resale (but probably cheapest of the 4 initially then) & again, only averagely reliable. Resale will be better on the recent Leons though.

Focus without doubt. Ireland's best selling car for the last 6 years, with good reason too.

1.6 is best engine.

Hi there,

the choice is simple........Mazda 3 every time. Try go for the TouringSpec over the Comfort, better seats, A/C all electric windows and steering wheel remote +++++resale value will be way better. Traded my 3 year old car with 60,000 miles and got €11,500.........not too shabby!

I had the h/b 1.4 up till April, my missus has Ford Focus 1.4 h/b,so I can make reliable comparison, spec on Mazda far superior, materials better, much better drive, space similar.

VW Golf way overpriced for what you get and new version interior is cheap and nasty

Can't comment on Seat other than have seen photos online and interior is a bit naff

You should test drive your favourites and make your choice then

hope this helps

Thank you for the replies, appreciate it.
I had a look at the Mazda 3 (touring) in a showroom and was very impressed with the interior space. I had not really considered the Focus Zetec untill I read so many favourable reviews here. Reliability, resale, drive and spec are the main factors. Will definitely test drive fav's..

Thanks again

Hi
I too am considering purchasing a 04/05 Mazda 3, but they are not as plentiful as I thought,
When you say weak, what aspect, acceleration or what specific, touring model would be my preference, but 1.4 touring are hard to come by, 1.6 no probs.

they are a very nice car in my opinion so hopefully i will pick one up soon.

irish gurl

Did your Mrs. have a LX? Focus Zetec model has all of the spec. you mentioned for the Mazda 3. It also has sports sseats/uspension and a few other bits.

Drive is similar, due to shared chassis. Resale is similar too.

Focus has been the best selling car in Ireland for the last 6 years btw. Spares are plentiful and good value too. Dealers offer fixed menu servicing.

Focus - 1.6 Zetec. It's superior to the Mazda 3.

I'm becoming bored responding to all car choice questions with this