Car broken into- now won't start

Bigfoot

Hi,

My car was broken into on Sunday night- they bent back the front door and tried to hotwire it- pulled out the plastic cover under steering wheel, ripped out wires etc.. Well my question is as it won't start will a garage charge a lot extra to have to come out to it, as i can't get it to them to fix it? Any idea how much it would cost to repair?

your insurance should cover all of these charges if you want to go down that road.

Thanks- still waiting for the guards to come out to look at it before getting it fixed. Was just looking for a vague idea as haven't a clue

Had the same thing a few years ago. They wrecked the inside of my car and I wanted rid of it - got a guy from a scrapage firm up. He had it started in about 2 seconds with a screwdriver...

Bigfoot said:
Any idea how much it would cost to repair?

Hard to tell and you may have a nasty surprise, sorry ... back to last 90s, some guys stole my wife's micra. Car found the following day with very little "apparent" damage. As for yourself, mainly plastic cover, neimann had been damaged and a bit of the door.

I pulled door back and that did the trick... but still needed mechanic to fix the ignition/neimann...Turned out that the bill was in around £1350!!! as the garage had to change the steering colum that got damaged when the thift forced the meimann...

Sorry to hear about your car Bigfoot.
I know how it feels to have your car stolen by thieves. Unfortunately it depends on the car and how the mechanic assess the damage.
All your wiring has to be corrected and the likes of steering column (if not broken, count yourself lucky) etc have to be checked for stress and road worthiness. Then the cosmetic damage such as plastics, seals and the door. If your door is bent back, there will be chipped paint from along the top of your door and/or your roof. Be sure to have this corrected properly as if there is visual evidence of a break-in then your car may be targeted again. If the crease in the door is very weak then best to replace and get spray job done.

Most importantly though, try to get a mechanic that might be able to source second hand spares for your plastics etc. Make sure he dosnt pull your pants down over price too.

Fookers caused me €2500 damage before so lets hope it aint that bad.

Bigfoot, my mates car was stolen - it was found in a Dublin suburban car park. We went with him to collect it and met the local Garda there. The Garda then showed us how to hotwire it to drive it home. Couldn't believe how simple it was to do... perhaps the Gardai might be able to help you out in a similar fashion ?

A neighbour managed to start it by fiddling with the wires so i could drive it to my local mechanic, hopefully it's not going to cost too much. The door and the window are battered and stiff but I don't know if i'm going to bother fixing them as the car is old enough.
Anyway, thanks for all replies

Back