car battery died

seaflower

Hi,

I bought a second-hand 02 car from a garage two months ago, and it has 6 months warranty. I haven't driven the car for two weeks and the battery died. Rang the garage today asking them to replace it as I've heard once it dies, it's pretty much gone, and they insisted it should be ok. ('just jump-start the car' :rolleyes: )

Is that so? Should I insist they replace it, or it's ok once it's recharged? Thanks!

Had a similar problem myself. Yes, jump starting the car will work, but you'll probably need to do it again the next time you leave it for 2 weeks (& that window will shorten). I believe the expected life of a car battery is 3-5 years (can't find anything to back that up).

If you can get them to replace it, that would be best.

Thanks Tiger, it happened on Christmas eve on the way to a party, and we did jumpstart it. It has been working ok since, but if there is a risk of the battary going flat again, I'd rather replace it while in guarantee. The mechanic on the phone was acting as if we are loosing his time.

PS. By the way, it has central remote locking, which I never knew it doens't work if the battary dies. Pretty useless, huh, had to either jumpstart it on the spot before levaing the house or leaving it unlocked for the evening :confused:

seaflower said:
PS. By the way, it has central remote locking, which I never knew it doens't work if the battary dies. Pretty useless, huh, had to either jumpstart it on the spot before levaing the house or leaving it unlocked for the evening :confused:
Yes the central locking is off, but turning the key in the door still works!

Wow, that seems like a whopping big design flaw!
I'll be sticking to my wee Micra so, at least it still obeys the keys at all times.

Berni, mine is Micra too (02). The key only locked the door which it was in, as opposite to all of them. Is there a way around it? I'll ask the garage when I bring it in.

Thats what mine does too. For the other doors its back to the old fashioned method of manually flipping the locks on the inside of the doors :)

Back