Motor Car Accident - Excessive Repair Costs / Go Through Insurance?

meganal

Hi guys,
I am after getting into a small accident and i frankly don't know what to do. after much research it turns out that the damage was done costs around 800-1000 euro to fix, but the other party involved in the accident is asking for close to 4000 euro in unnecessary repair costs. the damage was merely just a scratch on the side of his car and the person is being very unreasonable and keeps threatening he will claim off my insurance. can i let the assessment go through the insurance and then pay it off myself? as a young driver i cannot afford to pay such a large sum of money out nor lose my no claims bonus.
any advice?

If they are being unreasonable then you are probably better off leaving your insurance company deal with it. The third party is entitled to go to whatever garage they want to (within reason) but the insurance company will appoint an assessor that will make sure the costs stack up. If you pay the money yourself, the third party could still come back and claim off your policy. Best leave your company deal with it and you can always repay your insurance company before next renewal date and get your bonus back.

If you pay the money yourself, the third party could still come back and claim off your policy.

This is a very important point. They could come after you at a later stage for medical or other costs, and your insurance company may refuse to indemnify you if you did not notify them of the claim within the required period.

You also have the option of allowing the claim to go through your insurance company, and then repaying them.So if the damage is only worth €800, and that's what the insurance company is prepared to pay out, you could then repay that and keep your no claims.

Just a few observations ;

1. OP is obliged under contract to notify his motor insurers.
2. OP is obliged under statute to notify his motor insurers.
3. OP is prohibited under his policy wording from negotiating with the other party.
4. "Private" settlement arrangements outside of insurance can and do turn sour and unreasonable to a point of veritable blackmail.
5. When the claim is settled OP may request his insurers to allow him to reimburse their outlay.
6. Otherwise, it is +1 everyone else's views.

Just a few observations ;

1. OP is obliged under contract to notify his motor insurers.
2. OP is obliged under statute to notify his motor insurers.
3. OP is prohibited under his policy wording from negotiating with the other party.

Does this apply to all car insurance policies in ROI? I was under the impression they always had to be reported on renewal time, but not necessarily before that.

5. When the claim is settled OP may request his insurers to allow him to reimburse their outlay.

In this case, if OP is willing to reimburse the insurance company, must the insurance company accept the reimbursement?
And thus, is the NCB unaffected? Or can the insurance company still raise the NCB?

Does this apply to all car insurance policies in ROI? I was under the impression they always had to be reported on renewal time, but not necessarily before that.

Any that I've looked at include the requirement to notify them immediately. Can't say with 100% certainty that applies to all though.

In this case, if OP is willing to reimburse the insurance company, must the insurance company accept the reimbursement?
And thus, is the NCB unaffected? Or can the insurance company still raise the NCB?

I'd be wary about that approach. Get everything in writing in advance.

By "everything in writing", do you mean with the insurance company itself?

Yes. I have an inherent mistrust for the insurance industry. If you want to rely on their word that a certain course of action won't affect your NCB, ask them to put that in writing so that they don't forget about it when renewal time rolls around.

Yes. I have an inherent mistrust for the insurance industry. If you want to rely on their word that a certain course of action won't affect your NCB, ask them to put that in writing so that they don't forget about it when renewal time rolls around.

Interesting. What I normally do is record the date I was told a given information on the phone, since all calls are recorded.

I've had to do that before with both an internet provider and an health insurance provider. "On day X I called from number Y and you told me Z, check your recordings"

Interesting. What I normally do is record the date I was told a given information on the phone, since all calls are recorded.

They're not obliged to keep recordings for any period, at least when you have it in writing, you're in control.

They're not obliged to keep recordings for any period, at least when you have it in writing, you're in control.

Added to which is the significant evidentiary problem of proving the contents of a telephone conversation absent the recording.

Back