Capturing information

GJPC

I'm looking to see if there is anything out there for capturing information i.e. large amount of work requests etc. I work in a maintenance environment and the amount fo requests coming in from all departments is extremely large on a daily basis. I've been managing this through excel as the maintenance system SAP PM is too complex for all users to use - any ideas or suggestions.

Your help is appreciated!

I am going to be pretty naughty here and suggest maybe that you get either MS Access or use Apache/PHP/mySQL to produce an app based on a web-interface.

In terms of time, MS Access would get you started faster, but depending on the number of records, for a large environment maybe a dedicated PC to be a server for Apache/PHP/mySQL.

You would also be able to easily import the records from Access to mySQL.

Greatest thing about doing this instead of an off-the-shelf package is that you can customise it to the way you work and more importantly, the way you will work.

A little foresight in DB apps goes a long way....

It's not clear from the original post if you need a task/TODO list tracker or a project planner (or both!) but a free example of the former might be [broken link removed] and of the latter might be . I would treat rolling your own solution as a last resort only to be done if you can find nothing else that suits your requirements.

You say that SAP PM is too complex. I don't know the complete picture you are dealing with but it might be better to revisit the processess you are using with an aim to simplifying them.

The key reason people use SAP is it's integration flow into other areas of the business like Finance/Controlling and Materials Management.

That is it reflects usage of products, records and posts the costs associated with these in the Controlling module.

By creating a system outside of this are you not creating extra workload that may have to be rekeyed or interfaced into different parts of SAP separately?

I suggest, if possible, that the design be revisited as a lot of global companies use SAP and in particulair most of the Oil companies use it and they have very large amount of plants and heavy usage of PM.

Not sure that this will help but it's just based on my experience.

Cheers,
MAJJ

Back