Capless Fuel Tank - Can It Be Dipped?

LouthLass

Hi all,

Just a quick question, I've just changed my car to a Focus Diesel and I was confused at first at the capless fuel tank - I asked the sales agent how would it not be possible for someone to siphon off a full tank if no cap is in place to which he replied it is not possible to insert a device which would not be a diesel pump - this made me wonder if it is impossible to siphon off fuel would it also be impossible for Customs to dip your car?? Not that I use green diesel - I dont - but what are the implications to Customs if modern technology makes it impossible for them to dip??

All answers welcome,

Kind regards

LL

Maybe they could turn your car upside down and pour it out?

Last edited:
To protect the fuel filler neck from dirt, dust and debris, Easy Fuel relies on a flexible rubber seal in the body housing. The system also comes with a handy plastic funnel, which is stored with a vehicle’s tire changing kit, in case someone runs out of fuel and needs to add a gallon or two from a portable container.

from [broken link removed]

i assume that this funnel comes as standard. If so then maybe customs can use that to gain access.

Also, as the technology becomes more widespread customs will surely develop their own methods so that they can check every fuel tank.

edit: forgot to mention, they also can check the fuel through the fuel lines, rather than directly from the tank. I think this is usually done when they suspect a hidden (second) fuel tank.

Last edited:
I think this is usually done when they suspect a hidden (second) fuel tank.

Do people actually do this?

I imagine it can happen om larger vehicles who make a business out of it - but on standard passenger cars?

you're right caveat, it would be done on larger vehicles where the tank can be better hidden.