Cape Verde

Anyone see the House Hunters in the Sun on TV last week. I thought it was a poor show. I don't think they did a very good job of showing Cape Verde's good points (yes it does have them...just like most other countries). I've actually been down there (note...I don't own property there), and I found it far more impressive than simply a big building site, which is the impression the show gave I thought.

Any thoughts?

I saw a bit of the show. I got the impression that they were trying to be positive about the place. On camera it looked like a kip.

One of the things I noticed was that at each location there was a gale blowing, ensuring Miss O'K got plenty of mouthfuls of her own hair!!

The Sunday Times description of the place as akin to a nuclear test site certainly rang true judging by the TV footage. But maybe it has its plus points and we just didn't see them?

I didn't see the show but I'm surprised they couldn't put a more positive slant on it, especially as it's an infomercial. Okay, so it's not the TV3 type show, but still the developers or backers for the segment must put more though into how the place looks. Or maybe this is real-real estate, showing the place in it's worse and then people know it won't be any worse!

I didn't see the show but I'm surprised they couldn't put a more positive slant on it
But they did! At least in the part that I saw. However the positive slant couldn't compensate for the fact that the place looked like a windswept, barren wasteland. But maybe it's actually lovely?

Well some love the bare essentials, while others are minimalist (so said an old prof. of mine), my brother said Cape Verde was a strange place and he couldn't see resales, but he said the same for other areas and at least in Thailand he was 100% right. I dunno, I like mountains and lakes, but from pics and reports from CV, I think I'd rather invest in Shels!

i think people are going off topic again. there is allready a thread going on knocking cape verde.

I can't knock any place as it's to each their own. For goodness sake I'm living in a place where I'm the only EU passport holder!

overseas property law are now doing cape verde and they'r really helpfull. with regards to commercial units down there, now is the time to buy, if you saw house hunters in the sun on friday, you'l have seen that there is very little down there, the potential customer base it there if you have the right location. Most of the new developments have allocated commercial space, priced anywhere from €90,000 up, you could also try to buy a resale, either way i think its the way to go. And just keep in mind that capital appreciation is in the region of 30% last year alone, tourism has also increased by up to 30% over the past five years and occupancy is running at around 90% all year round on sal.

Who told you that? Tell them to wash their mouths out with soap!!

See that's exactly what I'm talking about. Any optimism or positiveness is automatically shot down, not debated. For those who have negative things to say about Cape Verde, have you been there? Have you had bad experiences? What makes someone who describes Cape Verde as derilict more credible than someone who describes it as a great place?

I have been there, it is not a big building site. It is fairly African rather than European of course but that is part of it's charm. Personally I think some of the Canary Islands are more like 'nuclear test sites'.

Disclaimer....I don't own property there....unfortunately I'm a long way financially from such extravagances.

Any of you seen todays Sunday Independent report on page 20 of a couple of Italian tourists ( all aged late 20 to early 30 with a late teenager - all ladies ) out walking somewhere in Cape Verde..?

They were brutally attacked, stoned viciously and dragged in a wooded area, thrown in a hole and left for dead, just one has survived - the teenager came too after a period of time and clawed her way out of the hole , police reported the other two were stoned to death..

Lets keep an eye on this one on the web and see if convictions follow, meanwhile personally speaking I would not Invest in Cape Verde, one of my first caveats when reviewing any investment is law and order, the Italians had a high regard for this island paradise off the coast of Africa, not any more I'd say.

This is indeed very bad news for Cape Verde as it tries to build its tourism much like a brutal murder and rape of young Italian women would be on Cape Clear. While Sal has had its episodes of petty crime like pick pockets etc, serious crime had not blighted Cape Verde until now it seemed. I have walked Santa Maria at night and felt extremely safe - not any more.

Evidently the CP Government now has a real problem even if this is rare and a substantial investment in security will now be needed to satisfy visitors and locals alike. I feel very sorry for the famillies of those poor Italian young women windsurfers who, like their daughters, believed Sal to be ultra safe. Obviously it isn't as I had once believed too. Its a tragedy really for everybody, nobody wins here.