Cape Town - Tips on what to see/do

aaa1

I'm going to Cape Town for a few days in November and just wondering if anyone has any tips on what I should visit? I won't have a car so I'll be restricted to things in the city
Thanks

Definitely do a trip to Robben Island, and if you can see if you can do a day trip to the wine regions of Stellenbosch, or Franschoek, when we were there our hotel ran day trips so we didnt need to drive, we had our own private driver and it cost us about € 100 between us for the full day, that included entry to 3 different vineyards, it was well worth it. He did a mini tour through the shanty towns on the outskirts of Cape Town on the way back to the hotel, which was very interesting although definitely a sobering experience!

Weather should be good in November so if you want a day at the beach its worth the taxi fare out to Camps Bay, fabulous beach about a 20 min drive from the city centre, again our hotel had private taxis we could hire, from memory it was about € 20 taxi fare, worth it if you plan to spend the day there.

Hi there, Lucky You !! would highly recommend a trip up Table Mountain - fab scenary, also spending a day/night at the waterfront, great shopping, bars & restaurants.

You should think about hiring a car and driving to the Cape of Good Hope, this was one of the highlights of our trip !!! Its very easy to get around Capetown, the roads are really good also.

If you are feeling adventurous, how about going diving with the great white sharks ???

Oh and for eating out, try Mama Africas in Long Street, we sampled Ostrich & Crocodile there !!!! Brilliant African bands play there most nights.

Have fun !!!

Beaches at Clifden - just the Captetown side of Camps Bay are wonderful - great views for lads, lassies .... and also those of ye who like seaside scenery

...if you are energetic, there is a great hike up the back of Table Mountain - starts in the Botannical Gardens (which are themselves worth a look) - walk takes about 2.5/3 hours and is fairly strenuous but you can get the cable car back down - that was one of my highlights (along with Robben Island)

Enjoy!

can also recommend Mama Africas we had a great meal and night out there.

Cant believe I forgot about Table Bay Mountain......probably because even though we had a week in Cape Town we never quite made it up, just lay on the beach at Camps Bay looking at it saying "we must do that tomorrow"!!

If hiring a car is an option it's really a good idea to do so ... most of the sites are around Cape Town rather than in the city itself and having a car makes life a lot easier ... the roads are good and well signed - driving is similar to Ireland and car hire and petrol is fairly cheap.

I'd add going to see the penguins on the beach at Simonstown too as a fun thing to do to the above (it's on the way down to the Cape of Good Hope) .. also the Chapman's Peak drive is pretty spectacular (south from Hout Bay on the other side of the Cape Pensinsula)

Take the red double decker tour bus. It starts from the Waterfront (at the clock tower, as I recall) and stops at the main touristy places. You can get off, look around, and get on the next red bus that comes along. If you spend long enough in places you could probably make a whole day of it, or you can just sit on the top and enjoy the views as you see the main sights. There is commentary as well so it's a very interesting bus ride as well as helping you get your bearings.

Table Mountain is a must do.
If you can, a township tour is the most illuminating thing you can do while in Cape Town. You will learn so much and meet the most fantastic people. We did a tour with Grassroute Tours and it was the highlight of our trip.
On completely the other side of the coin, Afternoon Tea at the Mount Nelson Hotel is a sight to behold. For a small sum you will be treated like royalty and can help yourself to a magnificent buffet again and again, while your tea or coffee pot is continually refilled.

Let us know where you're staying and you'll get some more specific tips.
Lucky you, it's been 3 years since I was there and I would just love to go back.

Try eating at Madame Zingara and their beef fillets with chocolate sauce, taste better then it sounds

Robben Island and do a township tour cannot remember who we did it with but the guys name was Basil and took us everywhere

Also went to see the Stormers Rugby match in Newlands Rugby ground bit away got a taxi there

Agree re township tour - a must in SA.

In regards to 'shark diving'....be aware that many (all?) operators promoting 'shark dives' are putting out bait to attract the sharks in; this is interfering with the animals natural feeding habits and also potentially leading to a link between humans and food.

Consider carefully if this is something you want to support.

Would really recommend to hire a car. Spent 3 weeks in SA for my Honeymoon 3 years ago. Another idea would be a trip to Hermanus, famous for whale watching, Oct/Nov is a good time of year to visit there. Beautiful drive. Enjoy, I am so jealous.

You should visit the Spiers winery near Stellenbosch where they have a Cheetah Outreach Centre and lots of birds.

For a modest fee you can stroke a cheetah and learn that the black spots are softer than the rest of the fur.

The wine is excellent too!

Back