Cape Cod in September?

shaking

Trying to think of somewhere to go for a week in September and thought of Cape Cod. Could fly into Boston / NY hire a car and spend a few days in Martha's vineyard or somewhere around that area. Anyone done something similar and if so could you recommend where to stay?

We did a driving tour of New England early last October. Flew to NY, spent a few days there and then drove to Cape Cod, Boston and onwards for some leaf peeking!

Make sure you head to Provincetown for a day/night, fab place! As Cape Cod is small enough i would stay someplace for a few days and then do day tours from there. Nantucket and Martha's vineyard are lovely spots as well. We stayed in Hyannis for a couple of nights but to be honest i would not ruch back there - good for a bit of shopping but gone a bit run down in my view. I would stay someplace mid cape and then explore the area from there. Maybe a holiday home to rent?

We stayed in the Hilton Financial District in Boston - very well located.

Fab part of the world - am v. jealous!!

If you go out of season, it can be very dead. There is a bit of an exodus after the labor day weekend.

Agree with previous poster to spend some time in Provincetown and the islands. Hyannis is a functional type of town with large shops. There are other towns on the cape which would be more picturesque e.g. Chatham

Hi the summer season in Cape Cod ends on Labor Day ( first mon in Sept) so it will be much quieter and a lot of places may be closed.
Avoid Hyannis apart from if you want to visit shopping malls and outlets. You can get the ferry to Nantucket or Marthas Vineyard from here.

There are some lovely quaint towns and villages which have nice inns and hotels. I would suggest staying a night or two in Boston before heading there by hire car. The Back Bay area of Boston is very nice and there are lots of hotels around Copley Square and Prudential Centre Malls .