Can't turn off individual rads in bedrooms

rebeller

Hi,

Moved into new build house around 6 months ago and have only now really started using the central heating.

Each radiator downstairs has two valves on either side that you can use to turn each individual rad on or off so you only have to heat those rooms you're using.

However, the upstairs rads do not have any "knobs" to turn them on or off and instead simply have plastic covers which twist around and around without making any contact with the valve underneath. In other words any time we turn on the haeting we are obliged to have all rads upstairs working even though we may not be using any of the bedrooms. This is obviously a complete waste of energy.

Is this normal or has the builder simply forgotten to fit proper knobs to upstairs rads?

This may seem like a stupid question but I want to be sure of my facts before approaching builder about the problem.

Thanks

This may seem like a stupid question but I want to be sure of my facts before approaching builder about the problem.
Thanks

Do not waste your time talking to the builder.. These things only cost few € and you should be able to get some in any good DIY store.

Sometimes the slot on the inside of the cap (into which the flat valve top fits) gets damaged or stripped, and then doesn't work. For an instant fix, use a channel locks or vice grips to carefully hold the valve top, and turn to close or open, but ultimately, change the plastic valve caps.

Thanks for the replies. @Petermack That's what I was thinking. @bacchus Probably would be quicker to replace myself alright but I might just hassle the builder if I'm in the mood. @oopsbuddy I'll give it a go.

If you are going to change the valves, spend a few bob extra and fit thermostatic controlled. Will give you the ability to control the heat in all the bedrooms.

In other words any time we turn on the haeting we are obliged to have all rads upstairs working even though we may not be using any of the bedrooms. This is obviously a complete waste of energy.
On that topic, can anyone please advise the following -

Would one use less oil if for example one switches off rads in rooms that aren't being used, i.e. does it mean the burner doesn't need to burn as much oil as it had less rads to heat ?? Sorry if this is a no brainer question but not well up on oil fired central heating at all.

Also, is it an old wives tale that rooms get musty if the rads are turned off or has anyone any experience of this ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, you save money, less water to heat = less time boiler is running. unless you have an old house I wouldn't worry about damp in one room.

...Also, is it an old wives tale that rooms get musty if the rads are turned off or has anyone any experience of this ?...
Just make sure there is adequate air-flow through the un-heated room via the air-vent and leave the door open.

If you are going to change the valves, spend a few bob extra and fit thermostatic controlled. Will give you the ability to control the heat in all the bedrooms.

Sorry to go off the thread, but do these valves save energy efficiently? Are they worth the hassle of getting them fitted?

Its a hard one. they have lots of advantages, easy to turn and control, however if you want any thermostat to work correctly it should be away from direct heat source. thermostatic valves can control the heat entering the rad but can't give you an accurate enough reading on the room temperture its heating. If it was a new installation i would say yes. to fit them now would mean 10 to 20 euro per rad and the cost to drain down heating and refilling, probably a days work for installer. A balanced heating system with normal rad valves works just as well i find.