Can't see windows update page

J

Jabber

Hello
I've just cleaned a Dell P3 of various virus/trojan etc. It was fairly badly infected, anyway I now have various problems as I'm trying to clean up / protect his machine:
1)I can't update his Windows 2000 as when the page opens it only shows "done" in bottom left hand corner and no images or text, I've set the site and internet options to enable Active Script but still no joy, the machine was infected for quite a while so it definitely needs updating, does it also need a JAVA plug-in to run this page, it also won't view other pages nothing in common with any of the pages, it was corrupted with Cool web hijacker before.
2)When I open add/remove programs, only text appears along the top of the window no icons down the left and also no programs listed.
3)Norton AV 2005 is not running correctly it hangs on the main scan page.

Is the machine recovereable without a clean install of Win2000, if I install the Reinstallation CD I got from Dell and do an upgrade will this fix the add/remove issue without deleting any of the info, note I've tried the "sfc /scannow" command and it works fine without error.
I've also tried switching to a different user to see if it is an administrator issue

Any Help!!!