Can't open Jpegs!! Help!

Pique318

Hi all,

I've a bunch of photos saved onto a memory stick, but can't open SOME of them. What's going on ?
I can view previews, open etc some of them but others come up with 'No Preview Available' in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer. They won't open anywhere else.

Can I recover them ?

Any downloadable programs to sort this out. They used to work, btw....

It sounds like the files are corrupt, which will happen easier on a memory stick than on a computers hard drive.
Try opening them in professional image editing like Adobe Photoshop.
I presume you are using a PC and not an AppleMac, but you can still download a free trial of Photoshop from www.adobe.com (Products – Photoshop Family – Photoshop CS4 – Get Free Trial) which is one of the best programs out there for opening image files. Because it's a free trial, I don't think you'll be able to re-save your images if you get them open, but it will at least let you know if your files are corrupt.
Something else you could try is importing them as images in layout software (InDesign, Quark, MS Publisher, or Word if you dont have these) and if they display for you, enlarge them to full size, then export the layout file as a PDF (there is a button for this in Word in the top left corner somewhere) so they can easily be opened again, as a PDF is a more reliable file format than a jpeg. But I have a hunch that the memory stick has been 'comprimised' in some way and the files are corrupt.
Good Luck

Feck...

I had an idea that some files were damaged, but what's the story if they open on one machine and not another ? This also happens with files on another mem stick.

These sticks were used originally with XP and then with Vista (which ran its 'Scan & Recover' utility, which I think is the root of some problems with it). A virus check threw up nothing

Bloody annoying, so it is !

Feck...

I had an idea that some files were damaged, but what's the story if they open on one machine and not another ?

What about opening them on this other machine and then emailing them to you to see if they open then? Worth a go I suppose.

Bloody annoying, so it is !

...spoken like a true Donegal man.

What about opening them on this other machine and then emailing them to you to see if they open then? Worth a go I suppose.

...spoken like a true Donegal man.

I'm not even from here...it was late so it was....that's my excuse, so it is

Feck...

... open on one machine and not another ? This also happens with files on another mem stick.
that sounds odd, if you can get the files to open on another machine, open them up on that, re-save them with a new file name (File – Save As) should be in the menu bar of most programs. This will create a fresh copy, which is like wiping the slate clean with any damage the memory stick may have caused to them. & once you have them resaved & uncorrupt, copy them to some place on your hard drive as backup!! Personally, I'd never trust a memory stick as solitary file storage, you should ideally have 2 copies of everything, preferably in different locations just in case a computer/CD/mem stick does nasty things to your files

and I'm betting Pique318 is a Cavan man, ...so I am

Last edited:
that sounds odd ...
Different machines, different versions of Windoze, different drivers, 'portable' medium initialised / formatted on one machine used on another - it's par for the course.

It's a PITA.
Will try to resave them and see what happens. Methinks I'll be burning them onto CD too.

And nope enol, not that tight either

I'm a Rossie and proud of it, sure just look at what they did to Mayo lately !
Oh...hang on...

I had this problem with Paint Shop, syntax error message. No one knows how to fix it, its something to do with the programme language, so I open jpeg with Window Picture Manager.